Ameracauna, Aracauna and EE Rant

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by 4hooves&featheredfriends, Mar 26, 2009.

1. 4hooves&featheredfriends

4hooves&featheredfriends Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2009
    New Hampshire
    I never thought this would rate on my radar, however, yes it has happened. Yesterday, I made a trip to our local Feed & Tack Shop to pick up a new longe whip.

My girlfriend and I were walking around and noticed that the store had their spring chicks in. I looked at the Black Giants, Orpingtons and Sex-Links, then down the line to a stock tank full of little chipmunks, black and cream chicks. The tank was labeled "ARACAUNAS - $1.95" - aaaahhhhhhwwww what? They didn't even have colored legs or muffs-they had yellow legs!

I love my EE's but to sell these as Aracaunas is just ignorant!

Maybe this should have gone on the Random Ramblings board? [​IMG]

2. mrsgibber

mrsgibber Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    Bolton, CT
    What color should an Amercana's legs be? I was sold one and her legs are black not yellow.

3. sherrydeanne

sherrydeanne Chillin' With My Peeps

More importantly, which feed store has chicks? [​IMG] I'm in Fitchburg and could use a roadtrip.

But, seriously, the stores just label them what the hatchery does, so the fault lies there.

4. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

4hooves&featheredfriends :

I love my EE's but to sell these as Aracaunas is just ignorant!

Maybe this should have gone on the Random Ramblings board? [​IMG]

Welcome to my world. Ignorance is rampid these days...​

5. roosty

roosty Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2008
    Georgia
    My local feed store is also selling EE chicks as Araucanas for $4.00 a chick. Although they didnt come from a hatchery( they came from a local breeder) they are EE's. (I got some chicks from this local breeder so I know they are EE's) I questioned him on it and he said and I quote "They all come from the same birds". Wow!
    I have nothing wrong with EE's as I have some myself and do sell chicks and eggs from them but they are sold as EE's.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by