Ameracauna babies with diarrhea

CierraandDaniel

In the Brooder
5 Years
Feb 27, 2014
BeaverSprings, PA
So I just picked up some Ameracauna chicks from a local breeder, and they seem to be having quite a bit of loose stool/diarrhea. Does anyone know what I can give them to help clear this up? Thanks in advance!

I've heard that sugar water can help with the stress that comes with moving around. I'd try that and maybe some scrambled egg for protein and to try to harden their stools

It could be cecal poop they have, it has a terrible smell. It's normal for them to excrete cecal poop about every 8-10 droppings. Also it could be the type of feed you're giving them. If you're giving them medicated chick starter, switch to non medicated chick starter.

Yes it smells horrible! I actually noticed it on the way home while they were in the box, so they haven't yet eaten any of my chick starter, though mine isnt medicated. I have 14 and some seem to be having regular bowel movements while others are having diarrhea, and a few have what i believe they call pastey butt? Which im trying to take care of as we speak. but a very small one has it and it looks as if maybe the skin tried to grow over it? ugh this is a mess. I'm very unsure about how to remove the stool without hurting him.

Either soak a cotton ball with warm water or get a dish with warm water and just let the "poopy mass" soak in it. It'll take some time, but that's the best way to do it. Don't try to pick at it or you'll rip out fluff. Once it's removed, let his little bottom dry and put a thin layer of Vaseline over his vent.

What you're dealing with is normal for that many chicks. Some will excrete regular looking poop with little or no smell and others will excrete stinky cecal poop. Non medicated chick starter is fine, no problem there. Be cautious with pasty butt. The umbilical cord is attached basically in the same area as what would be considered the pasty butt area. You dont want to try and remove the "skin" that you're observing, that is most likely what's left of the umbilical cord. Leave it be, it will dry up and wither away or drop off on its own. A warm wet paper towel soaking the "true" pasty butt for a couple of minutes should remove stuck poop, be as gentle and patient as possible removing the poop.

That's very good to know, I believe that may be what my littlest guy has then, so I will just leave him be and tend to my other few with obvious "pasty butt". Thank you both for all your help!

Back
Top Bottom