Ameracauna - Boy or Girl?

tracyork

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jul 12, 2009
Tillamook, Oregon
Hi, I have 7 chicks here, about 11 weeks old. There are 3 blues and 4 blacks. I just keep looking at them, and cannot decide what I have going on. For a while, I thought I had it figured out, but they have changed a lot in the last couple weeks, and now I just don't know. This is my first experience with this breed. Any insights would be very helpful. I chased these kids around the yard and took tons of pictures, but have narrowed to the clearest shot of each one. I probably have more if you need another angle though
lol.png
! Thanks so much for your help!

36597_img_1787.jpg
36597_img_1804.jpg

36597_img_1805.jpg
36597_img_1806.jpg

36597_img_1809.jpg
36597_img_1814.jpg
36597_img_1816.jpg

Last edited:
To me, the last three look to be roos, and the rest pullets - but Im not sure.

I cant tell much because the pics are too small for me to see, it might help if you upload larger photos.

4, 5, 6 look like roosters to me. Beautiful birds were did you get them?
I have 1 blue pullet and one black chick .

Thanks everyone for the input. I was figuring that 4 and 6 were roos, and it would make sense that 5 is too, since 5 and 6 started off distinctly different than all the rest - no tails! Suddenly 6 started growing this curvy tail, so perhaps 5 isn't far behind.

I got them from Don Putvin in Washington, through this site. The eggs were beautiful, and I'm so excited about the chicks too!

Our chickens are leading parallel lives! I'm in Oregon as well, and I recently had a broody hen hatch a batch of BBS Ameraucanas from Don too. You're right--his eggs and chicks are beautiful.

I'd love to see more pictures of yours, as ours are so close in age. I'd say 1, 2, and 3 are pullets, 4, 6, and 7 are cockerels, and 5 looks hennish in the body but rooish in the comb. They keep us guessing, don't they?

Mine are 12 weeks old. They are still changing, and just as you say, I keep changing my mind about them. I'll post a couple to compare to yours:

Here is a cockerel:
35596_chickens_10_19_09web.jpg

Here is one of my two pullets:
35596_chickens_10_19_09bweb.jpg

And here is one of my two unknowns (although really I think they are cockerels, I'm just in denial about it):
35596_chickens_10_19_09lweb.jpg

What a funny coincidence! Your chicks look a lot bigger than ours, but they have been changing so quickly perhaps it is just the extra week. They are beautiful. I was disappointed that we didn't get any splashes, but I'm still very happy with them.

I'm not sure about your questionable ones, but most of my potential pullets seem to hold their tails very horizontal like that, and I don't see any of those curving tail feathers that I am seeing on my roosters. I think I will wait another week or so, until they are a little bigger, and then post more pics to see how they are developing.

Back
Top Bottom