Ameracauna boy or girl?!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by cheeperchick, Aug 13, 2013.

1. cheeperchick

cheeperchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2013
    NM
    Here's some more pics of my blue amaracaunas that I got this weekend. Thought the blue one was a pullet when I got it but now I'm not sure. Any suggestions? The one with red feathers fore sure is a roo but may not be a true amaracauna. Thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. barnyard betty

barnyard betty Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2012
    How old are they? Could be a roo, I got 3 Americaunas last year and all were supposed to be hens but got one roo in the bunch...so I wondered about him/her for a long time. He was the most friendly and the least shy of the three. But had high tail carriage and yep, he turned out to be a roo.

3. cheeperchick

Aug 12, 2013
    NM
    I was told they hatched around Apr-May of this year. I may need to find a new home for one of them if they are both roos [​IMG]

4. farmerChef

farmerChef Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern Georgia
    My Coop
    looks like you have a pair, the one with red being the roo. A hen will not get those dark red shiny feathers. I do not see any pointed hackle(neck) and saddle(back) feathers on the solid blue one, if you spread the back feathers apart on the other, you should see his rooster feathers coming in.

5. cheeperchick

Aug 12, 2013
    NM
    The person I bought them from also had several of these birds cooped up in a very small pen so most of them are missing tail feathers from pecking. I'm hoping they will grow in soon.

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Blue is female, red and blue is male.

What is that sticking through the fence in the 5th pic down? My guys and I can't figure it out [​IMG]

7. cheeperchick

Aug 12, 2013
    NM
    That's a tree branch they use as a roosting bar. I'm slowly introducing the pair to my young flock so they're in a chicken tractor inside the larger coop. They are about 3 times larger than the rest of the girls

[​IMG]

8. shmccarthy

shmccarthy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2013
    Michigan
    The one with the red patches on its shoulders is male, the other seems to be female.

9. cheeperchick

Aug 12, 2013
    NM
    Here's another pic from this morning

[​IMG]

Maybe it's a girl afterall....

10. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    I also think you have a pair. The red on the cockerel does not mean it's not an Ameraucana--it just looks like a Blue Wheaten instead of a straight Blue.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by