Ameracauna Breeding Plan: Questions That Need Answers

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Chickenfan4life, Nov 25, 2012.

1. Chickenfan4life

Chickenfan4life Overrun With Chickens

Aug 28, 2012
    Planet No
    I have decided I want to breed Blue Ameracaunas and some rarer breeds. I already have my breeder birds, Merlin, and Nomad (the Blue Ameracauna from The Runaway Chicken). Please tell me if my pair looks like a show quality pair that I should breed.

Merlin
    [​IMG]

Merlin again (he won't sit still)
    [​IMG]

Nomad

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Chickenfan4life

Aug 28, 2012
    Planet No
    Anyone?

3. maryhysong

maryhysong Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2012
    Claypool, Arizona
    My best suggestion for you is to go over and read the Ameraucana thread here on BYC, If you post your pictures there and ask for an open and honest critique you will probably get one. Just be prepared for the answers, they might not be the ones you are looking for.

Perhaps join the Ameraucana Club, http://www.ameraucana.org/

You need to read and learn the standard for your birds and learn what they should look like. What are faults and what are disquailifications. What you should cull for. You have to learn your breed first, then you can work on learning how to breed to the standard of perfection.

I do not know much about Ameraucanas yet but am myself reading the threads and the standards.

4. OldChurchEggery1

OldChurchEggery1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2011
    Virginia
    Your cockerel has silver leakage in all of the key male areas- hackles, shoulder, and saddle that would not fare well in a show. If you are looking for show potential in hatchlings, you should look for a replacement male in your breeding program. Does your pullet/hen have the proper pea comb? It looks like a single comb in the picture but it can be hard to tell without a close-up. It might just be the lighting. The blue color is currently under serious work by a few different breeders in hopes of developing the crisp, dark (black) lacing that one sees in Andalusians. The ideal blue would have that clearly defined band of black around the blue feathers, but most Ameraucanas have more edging than true lacing. If you do choose to breed and hatch from the birds you have, it's best you think of them as Easter Eggers and just enjoy them despite their faults. Just because they don't fit the strict standard doesn't mean you can't have fun with them! I had a Blue Ameraucana that unfortunately had some stubs on one shank (who knows why) and she made a great broody hen and was a decent layer.

Luckily for you, blue is based on black (one dose of dilution makes blue, two makes splash) and the blacks are the best developed and most frequently raised of the breed. You could pick up a really good quality pair or trio of blacks and test mate your female to the black cock of the trio to see whether she possesses leakage as well. Her male offspring would be the likely tell-tales. If you want to raise them for a show whether it's for you or kids in 4-H, there are lots of helpful mentors to be found in the breed club and the thread shared above.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2012
  5. Chickenfan4life

Aug 28, 2012
    Planet No
    Wow! Thanks for such a great answer! I know of a place where I can get another roo. There's an unofficial breeder in my area that will most likely sell me another rooster. Thanks for the info. It helped a TON! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by