Ameracauna/EE- Buff Wheaten?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by PolarBerry, Apr 2, 2018.

1. PolarBerry

PolarBerry Songster

Aug 12, 2017
    So what do you think of this mystery chick that came into the feed store I work at?

A friend thinks it’s a male buff wheaten Easter Egger. S/he came in as a silkie with a bunch of silkies (and no cockerel were ordered) but is obviously not a silkie.

Soooo opinions?

F7D65156-8B5C-4425-A95E-1B0548CF2E9F.jpeg

B711D37D-DC67-497C-A87B-ACD964C55E31.jpeg
    2F9BA9DC-ECA1-4E33-ABA2-BBED9C2DDE40.jpeg
    FCD52EE6-EB80-4980-8A8E-8F0675BCE1A8.jpeg

2. redranger209

redranger209 Crowing

Apr 17, 2016
    Oakdale, CA
    I think it’s too early to tell whether male or female. It looks like a pea comb, so probably ee, but there isn’t chipmunk pattern so I’m not sure.

PolarBerry likes this.
  3. lomine

lomine Crowing

Aug 7, 2015
    Peyton, CO
    With those puffy cheeks I'd say it's an EE. EEs don't have a standard (because they aren't a breed) so they can come in just about any color/pattern.

I don't think it's an Ameraucana. It might look similar to a Buff or a Wheaten chick (those are actually two different colors) but I know of no hatcheries that sell those colors. The only colors I know of being sold by hatcheries are Blue/Black/Splash. If you know which hatchery they came from you could check the availability to be sure.

4. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Conserve Heritage Breed Livestock

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    Very likely an Easter Egger. Much to young to sex yet, or to determine pattern.

5. LeBlackbird

LeBlackbird Songster

Aug 17, 2009
    SE Pennsylvania
    Normally I would agree with easter egger, but even blowing the pic up, the comb is just so flat and sits so wide, I can't agree that it's a pea comb. If it's a hatchery chick, it has to be a purebred though. The only purebred breed you're going to find in a hatchery with a comb like that AND a beard is a russian orloff, but I have never seen one so light colored from a hatchery. Greenfire has reference photos (I'll post one below) of their orloff chicks being this light, so I suppose it could be possible . Will be interesting to see what it looks like in two months. Out of curiousity, what hatchery do you order from??

[​IMG]

6. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Crossing the Road

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    Ameraucana and usually EE have slate colored legs. The comb on that bird looks more like a rose than a pea.

7. PolarBerry

PolarBerry Songster

Aug 12, 2017
    I held him/her up to our russian orloff tank (from a different hatch date/hatchery) and they had much more yellow legs, darker coloring, and not quite the buff coloring in the wings. Plus chipmunk striping. Although from the easter egger tank they don't always have chipmunk striping either.

This one's an oddball, for sure. Either way, was only $1 and will keep everyone updated. Regardless, I think the orloffs are interesting looking and I like easter eggers as well. S/he is one of my friendlier birds I have right now too. I have a few different varieties of pullets trying to see what breeds I like better so some extra variety doesn't hurt.

8. LeBlackbird

LeBlackbird Songster

Aug 17, 2009
    SE Pennsylvania
    Yeah, all the ones I got in the past were signifigantly different as well. But it's the only thing I've found even relatively close, with the comb being so unusual looking...I have about 25-30 orloffs coming from 3 different hatcheries, so if it does end up being an orloff and I end up getting one similar, I'll let you know, if it brings some resolution to the mystery

9. I am positive it's a baby chicken, other than that, no idea, but cute!

Chick-N-Fun likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: