1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ameracauna has prolapsed vent - need advice

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by rachelmseattle, Jun 26, 2011.

1. rachelmseattle

rachelmseattle New Egg

Jun 26, 2011
    My Ameracauna has a prolapsed-looking vent area - vent was bloody a few days ago which was when I first noticed this trouble. Blood disappeared but mucous-y clear liquid started coming out of her vent for about a day. Then it looked all better this morning. Her behavior: a little less active than usual, a little stand-offish. Other hens weren't pecking at or bothering her.

BUT this evening I checked her and now there's some solid-looking yellow stuff coming out of her vent, so I've isolated her. I intend to clean her and try to gently push the stuff back into her, unless someone tells me that's a really bad idea.

Has anyone seen this condition and dealt with it?

2. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    That's what I did is rinse it with some water and gently push it back in. I had to do this twice before it stuck. It sounds like she may have in egg in there albiet broken so be careful. Some people here have had a lot of luck using preparation h to just shrink it back down. You could do a search here on preparation h and I'm sure you can find lots of other advice, pictures, etc. Yours might be complicated by the egg too and I know others did here as well.

3. rachelmseattle

rachelmseattle New Egg

Jun 26, 2011
    Thank you for your reply! I hate drugstores (esp Walgreen's) and drugstore remedies but I will go to one and buy some Prep H for the sake of my beloved chicken.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by