Ameracauna hatching troubles

BigDaddy'sGurl

Songster
9 Years
Jul 14, 2010
Wilkesboro NC
Has anyone else had trouble successfully hatching or incubating Ameracaunas (sp?)? The first eggs I ever tried to hatch were ameracaunas and they failed. No surprise I was learning. But since then I have tried periodically to hatch them and they either die late term or get stuck in shell or pip and die or need assistance after 48 hours pipped and then still die due to weakness. I am getting them from different people so I know it's not a single seller giving me bad stock and all other breeds survive in my LG so I know it's not my bator. I was really bummed a couple weeks ago because I finally had one hatch and it was the color I most coveted: silver. Loved that chick like it was a baby...best of everything and within 4 days, DEAD. I currently have an ameracauna egg pipped in the bator for the last 24 hours and no progress. History repeating? I so want to successfully hatch just one of these blue egg babies!!

I've had that trouble and more. I call it my curse! Here's how my troubles have been. Bought eggs- none hatched. Bought eggs again and let a broody hen have them - only one hatched and the chick drowned in little water. Bought chicks- the only one that looked like it was going to be a pullet just disappeared- the other turned out to be roos. Bought a grown hen- she laid a clear egg. Was given an Americauna chick in February and still no eggs at all. Bought another pullet, which looked to be the same agg- and still no eggs. Just bought two dozen EE eggs last night 'cause I couldn't resist the price so I'm gonna try again in the incubator.

Not at all that I'm happy for your trouble but it is a relief that it's not just me! I have an ameracauna pullet that I bought in may as a new hatched chick and that, to date has been my only success with the breed: and she is crossed with either a game bird or a BR.

Last edited:
I had 22 out of 28 hatch in april , lost a couple and still have 11 pullets and 2 roo's left , eggs were local and given to me because they were eggs from 'found' free range chickens , The girl I got them from said that not all laid green eggs tho I culled the brown ones out just after she left . Back when I had styrofoam incubators I had no luck at all with them . have plywood ones now and humidity on these during the whole process is critical . must be 40/50 and 50/60 the last 3 or 4 days .

thanks for that advice on incubator type. So far out of three ameracauna eggs I've had one hatch that is doing ok...and two more with no pips yet. Keep fingers crossed.

Back
Top Bottom