1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ameracauna hen not laying eggs yet

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ZoeysBirds, Dec 8, 2014.

1. ZoeysBirds

ZoeysBirds Out Of The Brooder

Nov 2, 2014
    Michigan
    I had acquired a Ameracuana (some believe she's just an EE), whatever the case, she's now 35 weeks old and still hasn't laid an egg. Never!! I've had her for about 2 months now. I wasn't anticipating anything right away but now I feel like she should be laying, Anyone have any ideas?? My birds are all organic, I feed pellets that are 18% protein, BOSS, scratch (its cold here in MI) and they get some greens daily. (Kale, romaine lettuce) I feed scrambled eggs occasionally (once every one to two weeks). The flock all get along well, not predator attacks, no pets upsetting them. I just don't get it. I have 2 others who are younger then her that have been laying for a while. One of which I got from the same flock she came from and she started giving me eggs the day after we brought her home! Imagine my shock!! Is there anything I can do to encourage her to lay? Is it possible she will never lay??

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Do you have a pic of her?

3. ZoeysBirds

Nov 2, 2014
    Michigan
    [​IMG]

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Might be the long nights/short days?

Do you free range? She might have a hidden nest.

5. ZoeysBirds

Nov 2, 2014
    Michigan
    I do. It's hard to explain our set up but she rarely leaves a specific area which is where some extra nesting boxes are. They're made for the ducks but one of my chickens Likes to lay in there. The only other place she goes, I've checked and haven't seen anything.

6. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    MmmmHmmm....they are very, very sneaky.

Her comb looks pretty pale...... but have you checked her pelvic bone width?
    2 bony points on either side of vent:
    Less than 2 fingertip widths apart usually means not laying.
    More than 2 fingertip widths apart usually means laying.

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Agree her comb is immature looking, but it also looks more straight or mixed than pea, which could mean she'll lay cream or brown eggs instead of the expected blue/green.

You can try confining her for a few days, to see if she's laying. Some hens are stealth layers, some announce to the world.

If she's not laying now, I'd say just wait for spring. Not all birds are production machines, some are just not as good a layer. I'd bet she's laying by Easter. If not, decide her future at that point.

8. ZoeysBirds

Nov 2, 2014
    Michigan
    I know I only have 2 birds laying at this point. I've seen them both lay actually. I just scouted her usual area to hang out, out side of their run and didn't find anything. Her 2 sisters have been laying since end of September. One lays green, one lays a pale blue. I haven't checked her pelvic bone yet. If it's less then 2 fingers, does that mean she will never lay, or just not laying at the moment? I have pretty small hands too. lol. And my hubby has giant hands, should I have someone with average size hands check her to have a better idea?

9. ZoeysBirds

Nov 2, 2014
    Michigan
    What does having a pale comb mean? Does that have something to do with their laying too??

10. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Pelvic width and comb color changes depending on whether they are in lay or not.
    If she had bright red comb and pelvic spread, I'd lock her up to make her lay in the coop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by