1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ameracauna...Hen or Roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mistydbowen, Sep 27, 2012.

1. mistydbowen

mistydbowen Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2012
    [​IMG]
    This is flopsy (the black one, not the barred rock rooster). She was sold to me as an ameracauna. The reason I'm questioning her sexuality is because she's bigger than all the other hens, and she makes weird noises. It's not quite a crow, just a longer bok, if that makes sense. She was hatched in May. None of her sisters have started laying yet either.

Am I crazy?

2. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    a side shot would help

3. Brentski00

Brentski00 New Egg

Sep 24, 2012
    I also have young black Ameraucanas. Id look for a deeper red comb. I believe i have three roos but one is bigger than the rest. Sometimes you can tell a roo just by the way it walks and the way he bobs his head.. Longer legs also help give t away.

4. mistydbowen

mistydbowen Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2012
    I know I tried to get a better picture, but she just wouldn't look at me. Maybe tomorrow at feeding time.

Her comb does look pretty red compared to the other hens. But not as red as Mr. Rooster, and not nearly as big. She's the only one we have of that breed, so it's hard to compare.

5. juliechick

juliechick Transplanted Hillbilly

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    I'm pretty sure you have a pullet. I don't see any "rooster feathers". Is that a single comb? If it is, she is not an Ameraucana.

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I vote pullet pending better pics.

7. mustangsaguaro

mustangsaguaro Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    San Martin, Ca
    I see a single comb there. If so she is not a True Ameraucana. True Ameraucana's have pea combs. She may have come from true Ameraucana parents but due to the single comb would have been culled or given to a backyard chicken enthusiast just for egg laying. This is not a bird I would breed and represent as a true Ameraucana due to the single comb.

8. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    looks like a pullet

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by