Ameracauna or Easter Egger?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by countryhouse, Sep 24, 2012.

1. countryhouse

countryhouse Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2012
    [​IMG]

I finally got a good shot of Prudence, my "Ameracauna" pullet (20 weeks). I'm wondering if she really is an Ameracauna or an Easter Egger? How do you know on an all white bird?

2. Redangler

Redangler Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2012
    Bradenton, FL
    I can't answer the question but I sure would like to know the answer as well. I have one that looks just like her at about 8 weeks and i wondering if she is a he or she. I posted pictures and some were calling her an EE.

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Where did you get her? Are her legs slate or green? (hard to tell in the picture)

4. countryhouse

countryhouse Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2012
    I bought her off of Craig's List as "Ameraucana" but the other one that I bought is def an EE with the mixed pheasant type feathers. This one has slate legs but when she was a chick they looked more green.

5. cmitchell

cmitchell Chillin' With My Peeps

Where you or her previous owner got her as a chick could tell you what she is. It's been my experience, as well as others, that the majority of chicks gotten from farm supply/feed stores, a hatchery, or a backyard breeder, are Easter Eggers. Yes, they may be labeled "Ameraucana", "Americana", or even "Araucana" (which is a rumpless breed). However, they are still simply Easter Eggers, some refer to them as mutts or crossbreeds.

To get a true Ameraucana or Araucana you would need to go to a breeder.

6. goldfinches

goldfinches Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Maryland
    can you get a better shot of her legs? In this pic, they really look more like EE legs than Ameraucana.

7. bloom_ss

bloom_ss Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2011
    Spokane Valley, WA
    The legs look green to me. I would say EE.

8. LeJeune1

LeJeune1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2011
    Allen Parish, LA
    Prudence looks like she has good type and pea comb. She may be pure. You should be getting eggs soon - so that should help to identify. Also, some "pure" birds won't conform perfectly to the standard.

9. BlueCamas

BlueCamas Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2011
    Milwaukie, Oregon
    Her legs look green to me, with that said I think she's an Easter Egger.

10. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Exactly what I was thinking.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by