Ameracauna or EE??

Shemos

In the Brooder
May 28, 2016
Indianapolis, Indiana
Whew, the more I read, the more confused I get, there is SOOOOO much information on this site!
So, let's see if I understand this right...an Ameracauna is a breed that lays blue eggs, and if you mix it with another breed you get an EE...is that right?? And can you know which you actually have until they actually start laying? I recently got 5 little chicks sold as Ameracauna, but they all have really different coloring and markings, so I'm just confused!!

Last edited:
That's what I always thought an EE was, too, until someone told me that the EE was the base breed of the Ameraucana and Araucana.
hu.gif
Where did you get these chicks? Feed stores and most hatcheries don't sell true Ameraucanas, with the exception of Meyer Hatchery. My guess is that if all your babies look different they're EEs.
smile.png

~Alex

Whew, the more I read, the more confused I get, there is SOOOOO much information on this site!
So, let's see if I understand this right...an Ameracauna is a breed that lays blue eggs, and if you mix it with another breed you get an EE...is that right?? And can you know which you actually have until they actually start laying? I recently got 5 little chicks sold as Ameracauna, but they all have really different coloring and markings, so I'm just confused!!

Hello! There is so much confusion with the Ameraucana and Easter Egger breeds! I was so confused when I got my first "Ameraucanas" which were actually Easter Eggers! When I was learning about these breeds I read a wonderful article that I refer to all the time with myself and other BYC members. Instead of taking all the info from that article and writing it here, I would love to share it with you if you don't mind. Here is the link :) :
http://www.fresheggsdaily.com/2013/12/ameraucana-vs-araucana-vs-easter-egger.html?m=1
It also includes includes info about Araucanas which are confused with Ameraucanas and EE's as well. One thing I would like to add that the article doesn't say is that while EE's can have any color legs/feet they are normally green/slate colored. If you would like to put pics here too, I would love to help identify if your chicks are Ameraucanas or Easter Eggers with you! :) I also agree with Alex that if they all look different they are most likely EE's. And like Alex, I'm wondering where you got the chicks? Good luck and hope this helps!

Alex, I got these chicks from a young small farmer not far down the road from me.....my flock was killed by a fox a couple weeks back, so I scrambled to find chicks right away, the feed stores were all sold out. Here's a pix of the pretty things, the 2 brown ones are very friendly, the grey ones are stand-offish, and the white one is panicky! Thanks for the link, Abbey!

Alex, I got these chicks from a young small farmer not far down the road from me.....my flock was killed by a fox a couple weeks back, so I scrambled to find chicks right away, the feed stores were all sold out. Here's a pix of the pretty things, the 2 brown ones are very friendly, the grey ones are stand-offish, and the white one is panicky! Thanks for the link, Abbey!
I'm so sorry about your previous flock, it's hard losing chickens. :( I'm glad you liked the link, I find it so helpful! From the pics, it looks like you have five very pretty EE's! I can tell they're EE's from their green colored legs, Ameraucanas should have blue colored legs. I pretty awful with gender, so I'm going to keep quiet there, though they all look like pullets to me so far. I know one way that you can sorta determine gender on EE's is that if there are red patches that start coming through on the wings it is a cockerel. Good luck with these beauties and keep us updated!

To keep it simple Ameruacana have beards and muffs. Can be any colours lay blue/green eggs Slate legs
EEs are a cross from Ameruacana and can have beards and muffs. Lay blue/green or even brown eggs. Slate too yellow legs.

Oh dear there is a lot of confusion on this thread...
Whew, the more I read, the more confused I get, there is SOOOOO much information on this site! So, let's see if I understand this right...an Ameracauna is a breed that lays blue eggs, and if you mix it with another breed you get an EE...is that right?? And can you know which you actually have until they actually start laying? I recently got 5 little chicks sold as Ameracauna, but they all have really different coloring and markings, so I'm just confused!!
An Ameraucana is a true, pure breed, accepted by the APA. Laying blue eggs is only one requirement of their breed standard. An Easter Egger is a multigenerational Ameraucana crossbreed. You can tell the difference easily when they are young. True Ameraucanas will always be sold prefixed with a color; e.g. a "Wheaten" Ameraucana or a "Blue" Ameraucana. Easter Eggers will often be mislabeled as simply "Americaunas." True Ameraucanas will be pricey, chicks alone often upwards of $20. Both Ameraucanas and Easter Eggers are known to have a pea comb, slate legs, a beard and ear muffs, and lay blue eggs; however, all Ameraucanas are required to have these traits, whereas about 20% of Easter Eggers will lack one or more of them.
That's what I always thought an EE was, too, until someone told me that the EE was the base breed of the Ameraucana and Araucana. :confused: Where did you get these chicks? Feed stores and most hatcheries don't sell true Ameraucanas, with the exception of Meyer Hatchery. My guess is that if all your babies look different they're EEs. :) ~Alex
Whoever told you that has no clue what they are talking about. Ameraucanas were included in the original crosses to make Easter Eggers, not the other way around.
They are Easter Eggers. Keep an eye on those two in the front... both have strong indicators of being cockerels. Pattern and combs are very suspicious.
To keep it simple Ameruacana have beards and muffs. Can be any colours lay blue/green eggs Slate legs EEs are a cross from Ameruacana and can have beards and muffs. Lay blue/green or even brown eggs. Slate too yellow legs.
This is almost correct. However, Ameraucanas can't be "any" color. They must be a specific color from parents of the same color. An Ameraucana who lacks a variety is an Easter Egger through and through.
Yours could very well be Ameruacana. They lose the muffs and beards once they start growing in their teen feathers. Very pretty birds. I have 15.
No breed with a beard and muff will magically lose them as adults. If they have a beard as juveniles, they will have had it as chicks, and will continue to have it as adults.

Back
Top Bottom