1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ameracauna production?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kota1369, Jan 7, 2010.

1. kota1369

kota1369 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    I am interested in know opinions on Ameracauna egg production and what to expect from them. I have 3 and a BO and it has been in the single digits for over a week. I am getting 2-3 eggs per day out of the 4 of them. All 4 of the chickens are under a year old and have not molted yet.

The lady with the 4 dogs and 4 city chickens

2. briteday

briteday Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Northern NV
    My EE pullets, hatched in March, layed for a while in Oct / Nov. Then it seemed they stopped in Dec. Just within the last week I am getting green eggs each day again. Out of 4 green egg layers I get 2 eggs per day and it seems the girls rotate as they are never the same ones two days in a row. I can tell the difference in shades of green, olive, mint...Since we have a moderate winter here most years (this year has been a ton of snow and mostly overcast days) I will not be adding any more EE's to my flock as they don't seem to be good winter layers for me. My RIR's and delawares have layed all winter without fail.

3. Shiningfeather

Shiningfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    hill country texas
    I don't have any true Ameracaunas but I do have about 15 EEs and most of them have been laying all winter. It has been very cold, wet and windy here since Nov. and they have only gave me a few days of lower production. I am very happy with them and want to a true Ameracaunas in the spring.

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    My Wheaten / Blue Wheaten girls give me about five eggs a week each.

5. FortWorthChicks

FortWorthChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    Fort Worth
    My EE's give me 2-3 eggs a day, they are just started and I use an automatic light for a couple hours in the morning. One hasn't started yet.. [​IMG] my light brahma gives me around 6 a week sometimes a doubleyolk. perfect size lil brown eggs!!

Last edited: Jan 7, 2010
  6. TK Poultry

TK Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    I get NONE and i have both!

7. HBuehler

HBuehler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Lebanon TN
    We have both the true's are slow to none right now..below 0 wind chill [​IMG] we don't get this here. My EE's are split I have some super good layers and others that will be packing their chickie bags if they don't start doing better weather isn't a factor with those unless they don't like any temps at all.That said my EE's are still doing great overall as a breed

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by