Ameracauna. Really? PICS

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by wpalmisano, Apr 12, 2011.

1. wpalmisano

wpalmisano Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2010
    Connecticut
    Purchased eggs on Ebay. I know, I know but I got a really good deal..............anyway, I bought 6, they sent 8, four hatched last week. Supposedly, they are Smith and Ribbick Stock, They come from a pen with a Blue rooster with Black on Split Lavender and Black hens. They are really nice looking chicks, the two light ones have a navy blue, almost purple tint to their fuzz, and the third is a rich black, however out popped a sick little chick covered in a film, like the yolk, with its eyes stuck shut. It was so small and sickly I was going to cull it, it looked like a Bobwhite quail chick. I put it in the brooder with its siblings, cleaned the eyes, and it has made a great recovery, and is active and eating and running around. It has a black back and a light face and chest. Is this what they mean by a split ? Any Ameracauna experts out there have an idea what I have hatched ? I am a pheasant/mallard/quail guy. Don't know much about chickens.......yet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. dutchhollow

dutchhollow Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2008
    SW IA
    Not a split, that is a bird that looks one color (black or blue) but carries the gene to produce another (lavender). Were all the eggs blue? I am not familiar with black americaunas, but some other all black birds (australorpes) hatch out with the black/yellow down.

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

The only one that doesn't look right is the chocolate brown one.

Normally, you don't want to mix blue/black/splash with lavender-it's a different gene entirely than the Andalusian blue in the BBS.

4. wpalmisano

Aug 11, 2010
    Connecticut
    Quote:Ah, I get it, the yellow goes away. That doesn't happen with quail, lol. Yes, all the eggs were a nice blue color. These are supposed to be real Ameracaunas, lol, but who knows? They are under a red brooder lamp so the colors are slightly off. I am just hoping for one nice large Rooster, that meets the standard color and will breed true. He will be busy. The rest will go in the pen with my EEs.

5. suzeqf

suzeqf Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    the two yellowish ones favor my splash amerucana(sp i can never spell this right) i also have 2 blues and one black

6. PeasChisGuis

PeasChisGuis Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2010
    Beggs
    speckledhen

Why do you not want to mix a pen of black, blue, and splash with the lavender? I raise black, blue, and splash Ameraucanas and got some eggs from the exact same mix in the top of this post....probably same person.
    All my stock is Paul Smith, Rose Konold, and Jean Ribbeck. I was unsure of the lavender and now am wondering if I made a wrong decision. I understand the genetics with the black, blue, and splash....dilute/double dilute gene. Would it be best to keep these birds (lavender stock) completely separate from my other stock?

Any information would be greatly appreciated. I have never bred any other color of Ameruacana and really love my blues.

Here are my birds: www.medicinecreekboergoats.com if anyone is interested [​IMG]

7. wpalmisano

Aug 11, 2010
    Connecticut
    Updated photos in case anyone is following the thread.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Quote:Because lavender is a completely different gene that affects the feather differently. Andalusian blue is what is the blue in Blue/Black/Splash. A blue is genetically a black bird carrying one blue gene. A splash bird is genetically a black bird carrying two blue genes. This blue makes the hackles a darker color while a lavender bird is uniform in color from head to toe. Blue does not breed true because you can get blue, black or splash from breeding two blues. If you breed two lavenders, you get lavender only--it does breed true. Lavender is not a different shade of blue but a gene mutation, if I recall correctly. It affects the feather quality as well, I understand. Can you breed blues with lavender? Yes, you can, and some folks do, but you will be introducing a completely different color into the mix of BBS.

There are others who can explain it better than I and I'm sure they'll be along shortly.

9. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    Quote:Chick on the bottom right looks somewhat like a Silver.

10. wpalmisano

Aug 11, 2010
    Connecticut
    ANOTHER UPDATE. ONE BLUE AND THE BLACK ONE ARE ROOS, THE LITTLE SICKLY CHICK (NOT ANYMORE) AND THE OTHER BLUE ARE HENS

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 16, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by