Ameracauna suddenly lethargic, not eating

emmak

Songster
9 Years
Apr 29, 2010
North Central Texas
1. Ameracauna pullet, 6-7 months old, healthy weight (haven't weighed her) BTW she has never laid.
2. Since Sat. midday, sitting, head tucked in. She got up and walked around when I roused her. Saw her poop Friday and it was runny yellow, no solids. Today, Sunday, won't get up when roused. Looks like she has pooped on herself.
3. They usually eat up all I give them and they haven't been eating it all since about Thursday, but one is broody, and I thought this might be the reason for less food consumption.
4. I have isolated her in a separate small cage, providing food and water.
5. Nothing unusual or traumatic prior to this. She ate spaghetti on Saturday morning in her normal way.
6. I expect to treat her myself as best I can. Not a lot of chicken vets around here.
7. She has been hanging around the broody hen, and she hasn't gone up to roost the last two nights.
8. One other thing - the sick pullet and the other one who is not broody seem to have their craws puffed up more than usual.
Thanks for any guidance you can provide.

I'm sorry but I can't help you, but I do know that when having marek's desease the eye will look different. I'm running into problems with two of my chickens at the moment, so let's hope we both get through this kay?
fl.gif

220px-Ocular_Marek%27s_disease.jpg

I have heard that yellow foamy poop can be worms, have you wormed lately? Also, that age could be cocci as well. I would treat for cocci 1st. Get CORID and give that to her, you should see an improvement within hours if it's cocci. Give it to her with an infant dropper so she gets enough because she's not drinking, won't get the meds that way.

Here's an update on my pullet. Her poop is not runny anymore, but she can't stand up. She will eat and drink. I put the containers right next to her. She is now in a separate cage from my other two hens. After reading on the forum I decided to try B12 and niacin. Gave it to her with some mozzarella yesterday. So far she doesn't seem to be any better. Her left wing is now spread like they do when they're sunbathing. I guess it's a matter of waiting and seeing. I'm really thinking she has Marek's, though she hasn't been exposed to anyone except hens from the same farmer. We do have a lot of wild birds around, but they can't get into the coop or run. I guess the dander could still blow in.
sad.png
hu.gif

Since she is so very sick (she is in serious trouble, from your description) your best bet short of a vet visit may be to call Peter Brown at First State Vet Supply (google and it will come up www.firststatevetsupply.com ) - he is a wealth of knowledge and can send meds if he thinks they will help, but please hurry if you can - it does not sound like she has a lot of time to spare. There is a nomimal charge to chat with him but it could make all the difference here if doable. Meanwhile keep her in a warm quiet stress free place best you can.

Please also provide info as to exactly what their diet is, how long you've had her and when symptoms began, how many birds and whether anyone else has symptoms (in addition to the puffing which usually means "I don't feel well"), etc - - any hints whatsoever that could help sort this out....

I hope she'll be okay
fl.gif
Dreadful to feel sick
sad.png

JJ

She started showing signs of illness on Friday when she didn't go up to roost. I thought she was helping to keep my broody warm. On Saturday she was lethargic, but could still stand. On Sunday should couldn't stand. I got her and another hen in April. In June (I think) we added a bantam silkie and a bantam OEG. Just a few weeks after we got the two new ones, the silkie died during the night. No real symptoms. Just dead. My source farmer said silkies are more susceptible to bacteria when they are young than other chickens, and that's probably what happened. Since that time they've been fine. My bantam OEG has flourished. They eat lay crumble, yard greens (given to them, we don't free range due to our dogs) approved scraps and scratch as a treat. I can't really tell about her crop because she's keeping her head tucked down. Her eyes have been fine so far. Thanks for any help.

Back
Top Bottom