Ameracauna vs. EE ??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mirandamommy, Mar 30, 2008.

1. mirandamommy

mirandamommy Out Of The Brooder

Feb 29, 2008
    Central California
    I got my chicks from a local feed store. I'm not sure where they had received them from. Since reading more on this site, I have learned that Ameracauna's aren't that common. Is that right? How will I know what type mine are. They were sold as Ameracauna's, but...it seems that can be hit or miss. I'll attach a pic of one. They're 7 weeks old. Some have puffy cheeks. Is that a sole indicator of which breed?

[​IMG]

I already posted this same pic earlier, but I think it's the best one.

2. tx_dane_mom

tx_dane_mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2007
    SE Texas
    The 'puffy' cheeks are americaunas...that's called 'tuffed.' I just learned that the other day actually. Ppl kept saying rumpless/tuffed in reference to araucanas & I was clueless [​IMG] Rumpless basically means no butt/tail feathers...as best I can figure LOL
    Kristi
    p.s. what I'd like to know is WHY the 2 breeds...which obviously look pretty different in the end, have such similar names...was it a goof, or did the 'Amers' start out from the 'Araus'?

3. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    http://www.ameraucana.org

Lots of pictures and information there. You bought EE's

Your bird really isn't showing the classic beard and muffs or body structure.

[​IMG]

4. tx_dane_mom

Sep 23, 2007
    SE Texas
    Quote:Wow! Thanks for that...I love it when I am wrong & someone teaches me why! Thanks for that link kstaven [​IMG]
    I always thought EEs were just mutts of *any* kind and that Araucanas had no tuffs at all...
    Kristi

Last edited: Mar 30, 2008
  5. kstaven

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    Tx dane. Only araucana have tufts. Very different from the Ameraucana MUFFS.

This is a tufted araucana

[​IMG]

6. tx_dane_mom

Sep 23, 2007
    SE Texas
    Ha it looks like a 50's hair do! [​IMG]
    It IS very different. So my girl is just totally an EE then....nice to know. So NOW I see that the Araucanas ARE very rare b/c I certainly have never seen one....
    Kristi

7. kstaven

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    Lots of misconceptions about both breeds out there. Many sights where the information is not correct, so it is easy to get confused when discussing these two breeds.

Then add into the mix that the european standard is a totally different bird from ours.

European araucana. Note the beard.

[​IMG]

8. bearcat73

bearcat73 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2008
    Southwest Ohio
    I will definitely check out that website. I want true Ameracaunas. According to the charts I've been looking at, they lay larger and more eggs than the aracaunas.

Are EEs a totally different breed altogether? Or are they Ameracaunas mixed with something else?

9. tx_dane_mom

Sep 23, 2007
    SE Texas
    WHat was it about green legs? I got 2 americauna pullets...but they have green legs...does that mean they are americaunas or are they too EEs??

10. DougD

DougD Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2007
    Ameraucanas do not have green legs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by