Ameracauna

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Tyandmacsmom, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Tyandmacsmom

Tyandmacsmom Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2011
    Ugh, I'm so happy and frustrated at the same time. At the beginning of last week, my son ran in with a blue/green egg from the hen house. We have four lavender Ameracaunas, that are seven months old, and two easter eggers that are four months old. I assume the egg came from one of my Ameracauna's, based on age. The problem is we haven't gotten one since. Isn't that odd, and what can I do about it? Also, the egg was more of a greenish blue than a robin's egg blue. I thought true Ameracauna's laid BLUE blue eggs? (I'm quite certain my four lavenders are true Ameracaunas, based on everything I've read and the fact it came from a breeder, not hatchery, and was told from the Schaffer line.) Anyways, I was so excited to get that first colored egg, now I'm disappointed every day the kids collect the eggs and there aren't any colored ones. I figured at least one was laying, the others were soon to follow. I feel like I got teased! [​IMG] Is this typical for Ameracauna's?

Thanks,
    Miranda

2. Frost Homestead

Frost Homestead eggmonger

Jul 9, 2011
    Lago Vista, TX
    a lot of birds that are projects, like the lavenders can lay greenish eggs. I don't know what to tell you about the fact that she laid it and then hasn't laid anymore. maybe just getting warmed up? laying somewhere else and you're not finding the eggs?

3. Tyandmacsmom

Tyandmacsmom Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2011
    I would have thought the same thing (hiding eggs), but last week we had A LOT of snow by the coop, and my wimpy birds wouldn't come out of the coop at all. I was so excited, I was jumping for joy (I have laying hens already, but I bought them laying...these chicks were "my" babies), so it was completely different. I guess I just feel let down. lol. It isn't that I expect the chickens to be machines, I just want them to be producing. [​IMG] Doesn't make a lot of sense, but if anyone else has had a chicken do this, I'm sure they'd understand how I'm feeling.

Good to know about the green eggs though, because I was thinking how disappointed I would be if my research wasn't what I thought it was, and if the seller was a liar! [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 22, 2011
  4. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    Not all of them start laying at full speed. Some lay an egg here and there for the first few weeks. My mom's Australorp laid one egg, waited three weeks (!) and then started laying regularly. You just never know. The relatively short days may also have some impact.

5. Frost Homestead

Frost Homestead eggmonger

Jul 9, 2011
    Lago Vista, TX
    it largely depends on whether or not the breeder is culling for egg color/production or for physical appearance. the latter can sometimes have off colored eggs, not unusual for the lavenders. [​IMG] It's been so long since some of my birds laid eggs, it feels like they've been molting forever. I'd just give her some time, Ameraucanas are known for being a little less productive then most would like but hopefully you'll have more pretty eggs soon!

edited for ridiculous typos

Last edited: Dec 22, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by