1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ameracaunas...cockerals I'm thinking!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by FrankiesMom, Oct 13, 2012.

1. FrankiesMom

FrankiesMom Chillin' With My Peeps

I dont' have pictures to put up just yet, but three of the four Ameracaunas I hatched recently 'sprouted' beautiful, long, arching feathers or the tight fans that normally make up their tails.
    I'm just guessing here but... cockerals? There is no sign of saddle feathers yet (9 wks). Just these nice, long feathers.
    Of course, it's the one remaining one that is known to be stand offish......sigh. [​IMG]

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Post some pictures. Pullets tails will curve a bit. The differences are usually apparent in the combs by 9 weeks.

3. allmychickens

allmychickens Just'a small town girl

Aug 4, 2011
    Washington
    pics?

4. FrankiesMom

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As requested... [​IMG]

The top three (two white, one black) are my suspects... the final picture is of the only pullet. I think. [​IMG]

5. FrankiesMom

Oh...and I read that it might help for you to know - the first three were extremely friendly and curious (and easily trainable!) while the fourth is more of a loner. Go figure!

6. Happy Chooks

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    First white one is a cockerel. Black is a pullet. Last white one is a pullet.

7. FrankiesMom

Ok - what about the third one? Anybody else have a guess? I'd like to put the cockerals up for sale asap... [​IMG]

8. FrankiesMom

And thanks...!

9. FrankiesMom

Ooops...I mean second one!! [​IMG]

10. Happy Chooks

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    How many birds are there? I thought the first and 2nd picture were the same bird - if not, they are both cockerels. The rest are pullets.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by