Ameracaunas.. I'm on a Rooster Roll....

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by TheSheriffswife, Jun 17, 2011.

1. TheSheriffswife

TheSheriffswife Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2011
    Baldwinsville NY
    I know these guys are tricky but I have been very down due to the fact I have to rehome all these roos..I hatched 17 babies on 3/26 and so far it's looking like (if these two are boys) I hatched a whopping 13 roos and 4 pullets..
    I don't care so much as I got attached especially to these two..

So..I know (well not really) but because they are mine [​IMG] they will be boys.

Can you guys see what you think aboout these babes?
    Thanks..and trust me I am prepared..have been x12 [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Barrdwing

Barrdwing Chillin' With My Peeps

Aargh. I think I may be seeing pointed saddle feathers on both of them. On the second bird, the new saddles look darker than the surrounding feathers, which is a trend I've seen with the blue coloration before. The first bird is more uniform, but there are some very pointy shapes among those saddles. #2 also has some serious, yard-stompin' legs. While they're going to be remarkably beautiful when they finish growing in their new feathers, I know you would rather they weren't more boys. Sorry! [​IMG]

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Sorry, they are both boys.

If it makes you feel any better, my last hatch was 23 chicks and 15 of them were boys.

4. TheSheriffswife

Jan 13, 2011
    Baldwinsville NY
    Quote:Haaaa [​IMG] Wow only I could pull this off! 14 out of 17 REALLY??

All kidding aside..Oh wow..I actually have been suspecting..just wanted to hear it out loud..

Now I have a question and maybe if this isn't the right section to ask maybe someone can direct me to the right one..

Being that I purchased eggs of various breeds so I would have a colorful egg basket, and being that I hatched 0 Olive Eggers hens 0 Ameracaunas hens just roos..So no green or blue egg layers...

But I obviously have Roos of those breeds and I have my other pullets (French Maran, Lavender Orp, NH Red, Amberlink)

So is there anyway I can create a blue egg layer out of this mix?

I know I can make Olive layers by breeding my pea combed Olive egger Roo to my straight combed French maran hen..

Maybe this is a dumb question..I just really want blue eggs..SO is this possible with my current mix?

Thanks!!

5. fancyfowl4ever

fancyfowl4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Cranbrook, BC, Canada
    SInce you only have brown egg laying hens you will only get green egglaying offspring when crossed with the ameraucana roosters. To get blue eggs you would have to cross them with a white egg layer.

6. TheSheriffswife

Jan 13, 2011
    Baldwinsville NY
    Quote:Ahh Okay..Thanks! Green it is. Maybe next year I can get some HENS [​IMG] that lay blue eggs [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by