1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ameracaunas picking on Jap

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by nccountrygirl, Aug 18, 2007.

1. nccountrygirl

nccountrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Sanford N.C.
    Will my Ameracaunas always pick on my Jap Bante? They are pecking her head really bad, poor baby

2. chickensinMT

chickensinMT Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2007
    Churchill MT
    she might eventually stop picking. one of my polish got picked on so I put her in another pen until she healed and then put her back and it was okay. you could try this or give tham some time

3. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Just curious, are your Ameraucanas older than your Jap?

Our flock is all the same age (14 weeks on Monday), and our little Jap pullet gives everyone a hard time (even though she's smaller than everyone else) cockerals included. We've nicknamed her Barbie Bad A$$.

Dawn

4. nccountrygirl

nccountrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Sanford N.C.
    I think they are about the same age, about 16 weeks

5. Napalongtail

Napalongtail Longtail Longtimer

Jan 31, 2007
    NE Washington
    In my experience the EE and the wyandottes are the hench men of all flocks.

6. phengel

phengel Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2007
    minnesota
    I have an EE, Black sex link, and rir, plus 2 cochin banties. (all pulletts, 15-17 weeks old). Actually the EE is probably more tolerant and at least watches where she is putting her big feet!

The one banty stays behind the others in the food rush, still gets her own, but the silly "bag lady" banty (really, she needs a grocery cart she is so messy looking!) runs in front until she is run down by the black and rir. sqrawk! then bounces up and gets down to scratching.

they all get along really well, maybe because I only have five and they are all different. no one special to pick on!

i too would segregate until healed, my mom always said they go for blood.

7. siz8003

siz8003 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Fitz.,NH
    my ee is the same way she is a bi@#$ to my polish roo his poor head

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by