Ameracuana hen lost feathers around neck/chest

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by pete56, May 24, 2010.

1. pete56

pete56 New Egg

May 24, 2010
    Southern Nevada
    I have 4, 3-4 year old hens. One lost feathers around neck, chest and legs. Generally looks ragged. Otherwise seems healthy and happy. This has been ongoing for approx 6 months. I have not seen other hens pecking her, although there is no rooster in the group. Recently, her green eggs have brown spots making the eggs speckled. I feed laying mash with lots of greens and fresh water. I am in a hot, dry, desert climate. Their coop is 6' x 8' and their outside space is 10' x 20'. I want to bring a rooster and more hens home, but want to know what I'm dealing with here first. I would like to treat her myself, if possible. Suggestions?

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Some have issues getting feathers back after a molt. I have one hen who has a bare neck several times a year. No mites/lice here and she gets plenty of protein. Up the protein by adding canned salmon or mackerel a few times a week and see if that helps. Be sure not to give too many treats, which would lower the protein content for her. They need that to grow new plumage. Do be sure to dust her for pests, just in case.

3. pete56

pete56 New Egg

May 24, 2010
    Southern Nevada
    speckledhen - thank you for the info - I appreciate it.

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Yes, I'd do poultry dust (sevin or some other)

And I'd be certain that they have plenty of protien. My girls are spoiled and get a can of salmon to share once a week.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by