Ameracuanas

Silkie_Mama

Chirping
Jun 13, 2018
So, I’m thinkin about getting some ameracuanas, but I don’t know how well they lay, I know they lay beautiful colors, but I call upon those with experience, how well do they lay and what’s the temperament?

sourland

Broody Magician
Premium member
10 Years
May 3, 2009
New Jersey
'Ameraucanas' Can primarily be sourced from breeders- ameracuanas, americanas or and other misspelling are most likely Easter Eggers. Temperament is generally good and egg production moderate - nothing near the high production breeds.

pollos_hermanos

In the Brooder
Feb 17, 2020
Arizona
Ameraucanas lay blue eggs. The recognized colors are Wheaten, Blue Wheaten, Brown Red, Silver, White, Black and Blue

Any other plumage or egg color other than those recognized is not an Ameraucana, but an
Easter Egger. If the goal is egg production, then Easter Eggers are the way to go. They're much easier to find, and the more economical choice- as you'll likely pay more than double for birds from a legitimate breeder. They are extremely reliable layers, and from my experience, well mannered as well

Hope that helped!

Frazzemrat1

Free Ranging
May 8, 2017
Eastern Connecticut
If you're looking for pure bred, there are very few hatcheries that have them. If your looking for breeder quality, I'd go to the Ameraucana Breeder's club and find some breeders: http://ameraucanabreedersclub.org/
If you're looking for egg production with cool colors, go easter egger or any of the miss spellings of the breed.
IF you do want pure bred ameraucana, I'd be very careful about who you buy from and make sure they follow the breed standards. Too many times we've seen (on here) where people think they're getting pure bred, thanks to the hatcheries, and breed their chickens and try to sell them as pure ameraucana.

Top Bottom