Ameracuna or EE

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Michael L, Nov 9, 2013.

1. Michael L

Michael L New Egg

Nov 9, 2013
    Hi I am new to the site and have a few questions. I was doing a little research on why 5 of our hens only seem to lay green eggs, and all I got were more questions than answers. Here is the story. My dad bought 10 chicks in this past April in Wisconsin. He was told that 5 were Rhode Island Red hens and 5 were Aracuna hens, but I just found out that they are not. The first of my two questions is why do the 5 mystery hens only lay green eggs? Second, what breed do we have Ameracunas or EE? I don't know if any of the following things will help with the identification, but I will try. When my dad ordered them he said they were nicknamed the "Easter egg chicken" because they laid green, blue, pink, and yellow eggs. Whenever I go up to them when they are free ranging in our backyard all but one will run away from me, the last one squats down to the ground and pulls her wings above her back and just stays there. The colors are: white with a few brown feathers on her breast/back, white with brown and black feathers on her breast, and three other's I can't explain. All five have fine feathers circling their face area, and they all have tail feathers. I will try to get some pictures of them tomorrow. Also is it weird to name chickens after food: i.e. Parmesan, Fry, and Barbeque? Thank you all for your help in advance.

Michael

2. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
  3. thompson88

thompson88 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 7, 2013
    tunkhannock, PA
  4. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    no need to post picture. They are definatley easter eggers

5. Michael L

Michael L New Egg

Nov 9, 2013
    Thank you. What are the chances that my dad got a mix of EE, Ameracunas, and Blue Aracunas? He still swears hat they are Aracunas. Also I there anything that I can do to get different colored eggs? Thanks again.

6. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    None. They were even labled the easter egger chicken, dead give away. Plus your descriptions and the color of eggs they are laying. Araucana are rumpless. you can learn about ameraucanas here www.ameraucana.org there are pics of the 8 accpeted varieties. you can't change egg color, you get what you get. You can buy more an try again but that is all you can do. BTW ameraucana and araucana lay blue eggs

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    They are Easter eggers.

Each chicken only lays one color egg. A bird's egg color is genetic, so she has genes for white, brown, blue, green, etc. A brown egg layer won't lay anything but brown, a green layer won't lay anything but green. If you want different colors, buy different hens.

Don't argue with your dad about what breeds the chickens are. It really doesn't matter, and if he's sure in his heart they're Aracauna, so be it. Not like you're showing or selling high end breeding stock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by