Ameracuna Vs EE

MaconMommy5

Chirping
Mar 13, 2017
Central GA
We're hatching our first set of chicks!! Ahhhh! But we have some EE, Some RIR, and THREE that i bought as Ameracuna's from a local Farm. Online it said "Americuna's (Easter eggers)" so i just assumed they were just EE's.. But one of those has hatched and looks WAY different than the EE's! He/She Has A yellow face and greenish circles around the eyes. I emailed the farm but they usually take a while to respond. Is therea way to tell?
(i can't take a picture since they're in lockdown still)

Unless you got your birds from an Ameraucana breeder, they're most likely 'Easter Eggers.' Americana is a made up word (misspelled variation of Ameraucana) that is an EE. The blame is mainly on hatcheries, and by extension farm stores that sell and label the birds as Amerau/Americana. EE birds are all over the spectrum in appearance, so one that looks different is probably just that - one that looks different. Depending on the cocktail used to make them - they can pretty much look like anything..

Unless you got your birds from an Ameraucana breeder, they're most likely 'Easter Eggers.' Americana is a made up word (misspelled variation of Ameraucana) that is an EE. The blame is mainly on hatcheries, and by extension farm stores that sell and label the birds as Amerau/Americana. EE birds are all over the spectrum in appearance, so one that looks different is probably just that - one that looks different. Depending on the cocktail used to make them - they can pretty much look like anything..
X2

Owen is 100% CORRECT
I wish hatcheries would either sale true Ameraucana's or stop advertising they have them.
They do nothing but cause confusion and heart ache for many folks

When I purchased the eggs, I figured they were EE's from what I learned on BYC! But I know the person that i bought them from breeds a few special ones, and when they hatched and looked quite different, I started wondering if it was an EE or not! I agree! Calling them Ameracuna's if they're EE's should 100% be considered false advertisement. Had i not been on this forum, I'd have been extremely disappointed when they got older.

I did email them, and got a very nice, clarifying response... I sent,
"I recently purchased Hatching Eggs from you Labeled Ameracuna's (Easter Eggers). I noticed that you breed some rare breeds so I was inquiring to find out if they are Ameracuna's or Easter Eggers. I do know that the eggs were priced a bit higher than others, and was hoping the reason for that being that they are Ameracuna's. Either way, I'm a happy customer!"

And I got this back...
"The listing states that they are Easter egger / Americana"

Can you feel the sarcasm dripping from the first sentence now?? Lol

It's a process...sometimes a long one finding chickens and breeders that meet a person's standards. I liken it to gardening; there's more weeds than fine produce plants. But it's that fine produce that makes it all worth the while.

The place you just dealt with may not be willing to observe the difference, many don't or won't. But regardless of the start, I hope that the chicks perform wonderfully for you. Would love to see pics once the chicks are out. Hopefully you'll come across a breeder who's ideals meet your expectations.

I'm getting the insidious feeling that Ameraucaunas (and I can't always spell that darn word correctly...lol) are like many popular breeds that can be ruined by those trying to make a quick dollar...that unless you are able to find a truly stellar breeder who puts in the years in selecting and culling their stock, you may be disappointed. Hats off to all the purebred breeders who do the work and take the time improve their stock and present it properly!

EE's seem to have such a negative connotation when being referred to...but I've been most pleased with mine. I've had Ameraucaunas from an expensive breeder and they didn't stand up. I'm getting Ameraucauna hatching eggs from different breeder lines. If these turn out well...I won't be breeding pure until they prove themselves. They are mostly to breed across to my blue egg lines of EEs to keep as EEs.

It's a process...sometimes a long one finding chickens and breeders that meet a person's standards. I liken it to gardening; there's more weeds than fine produce plants. But it's that fine produce that makes it all worth the while.

The place you just dealt with may not be willing to observe the difference, many don't or won't. But regardless of the start, I hope that the chicks perform wonderfully for you. Would love to see pics once the chicks are out. Hopefully you'll come across a breeder who's ideals meet your expectations.

I'm getting the insidious feeling that Ameraucaunas (and I can't always spell that darn word correctly...lol) are like many popular breeds that can be ruined by those trying to make a quick dollar...that unless you are able to find a truly stellar breeder who puts in the years in selecting and culling their stock, you may be disappointed. Hats off to all the purebred breeders who do the work and take the time improve their stock and present it properly!

EE's seem to have such a negative connotation when being referred to...but I've been most pleased with mine. I've had Ameraucaunas from an expensive breeder and they didn't stand up. I'm getting Ameraucauna hatching eggs from different breeder lines. If these turn out well...I won't be breeding pure until they prove themselves. They are mostly to breed across to my blue egg lines of EEs to keep as EEs.

They Just hatched yesterday and the day before! If you go to the link in my Signature, you can see the new additions! They're Adorable!

Back
Top Bottom