Ameraucana am I a boy or a girl?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by bantiehen, Dec 22, 2011.

1. bantiehen

bantiehen Songster

Nov 22, 2011
    Montana
    [​IMG][/img]
    I know its pretty hard to tell when it comes to ameraucanas. sigh he/she's comb is bigger than the others. I know that they don't get very big combs. should I wait and see.. I haven't seen any combs on it yet. It's 3 months old almost 4 months

2. cravenchx

cravenchx Songster

Aug 7, 2011
    Piedmont of NC
    Try taking another picture with a
    white tshirt on! Very hard to see.
    And perhaps a sideways view!

Last edited: Dec 22, 2011
  3. BlazeJester

BlazeJester Songster

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    x2
    With a real camera if possible - the photo quality on phones & webcams makes it difficult to see sickle and hackle feathers and other detail that helps to assess gender.

Pretty bird, whichever gender! [​IMG]

4. hdowden

hdowden Crowing

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    i have to agree with the other on this one your black shrit makes it hard to see his/her hackles. i havent seen many true ameraucana chicks but if i had to hazard a guess i would say pullet with the comb being small like it is. at 4 months i would guess it would be bigger but a better pic and as clear as you can get it would really help [​IMG] maybe even with one of its flock mates with the smaller comb to could help for a side to side comparison as well

5. Pele

Pele Songster

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Unfortunately the shirt hides details that we would use to determine gender. I can tell you from the current picture, however, that your bird lacks a muff, which is an essential feature for an Ameraucana.

This is most likely either a mixed bird, or another breed entirely.

6. bantiehen

bantiehen Songster

Nov 22, 2011
    Montana
    well where I got her as a egg the person has several ameraucanas and they are breeders of them they have no Easter Eggers.. Let me take the picture again with a white t-shirt lol. She/he is still getting bigger still a baby. lol sorry didn't think about that with the black t-shirt whoops [​IMG] lol whoopsie She/he isnt's Easter Egger . Skye has nice black legs.
    [​IMG][/img]
    [​IMG][/img]
    [​IMG][/img]
    [​IMG][/img]
    [​IMG][/img]

Skye is only Four Months old so it has a lot of growing still to do.. I just wanted to know if it was a boy or a girl [​IMG] and looks like most think its a boy.. [​IMG] which would be pretty awesome. It's still going through the fugly stage lol hahahahhahaa.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2011
  7. bantiehen

bantiehen Songster

Nov 22, 2011
    Montana
    Skye is my only Ameraucana. the others are Ameraucana x cochin and the other is silkie x ameraucana and they have no combs very very tiny lol..

8. BlazeJester

BlazeJester Songster

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    3 months with that comb? boy. hackle & saddle feathers can come in later, and I find it difficult to see them on ameraucana until they're much older.

9. bantiehen

bantiehen Songster

Nov 22, 2011
    Montana
    thank you [​IMG]

10. pretty safe to say its a boy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by