Ameraucana and Cuckoo Maran laid one egg each and stopped, FOR MONTHS!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mchlldickson, Sep 27, 2016.

1. mchlldickson

mchlldickson Out Of The Brooder

Feb 14, 2013
    Corona Ca
    So I have two chickens, and Ameraucana, and a Cuckoo Maran. Both of them are a little over 1 year old. Right about the 7 month old mark, they each laid one egg. Both were perfect, and I had expected to get many more... However that hasn't happened. They live in an enclosed 12 x 20 ft area. I have looked all over the area for a hidden nest and have found nothing.

Heres a bit of the back story. Right after they laid their first egg, we had an insane heat wave. Then we had a predator (a bobcat) grab two of my chickens right out of their run. Since then, I've predator proofed the entire thing. Now its been at least 3 months, and neither of them have resumed laying.

My question is, will they ever lay again? Is there anything I can do to bump them back into laying? I love these two girls, but with such a small area, I can't waist the space on two chickens that will never lay for me. Any advice is appreciated!

2. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Chicken Obsessed

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe
    What are you feeding them? Are they getting enough calcium, and is it possible they or some other predator (even a snake or rat) is eating the eggs?

Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
  3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Good questions^^^

How big is their coop, in feet by feet?
    Can you confine them there to make sure they are not laying somewhere else?

Can always check vents and pelvic points too, if conclusion is that they are laying, lock em up.

Vent:
    Dry, tight, and smaller - usually not laying.
    Moist, wide, and larger - usually laying

Pelvic Points 2 bony points(pelvic bones) on either side of vent:
    Less than 2 fingertip widths apart usually means not laying.
    More than 2 fingertip widths apart usually means laying.

4. mchlldickson

Feb 14, 2013
    Corona Ca
    They're on layer crumble. They get egg shells as well as a constant supply of oyster shells. They are fed all of our veggie scraps. They're healthy little ladies. I have tried locking them up in the coop for a few days, and no eggs. They're both doing the squat when I pet them. They're coop is lined in bricks so no press can dig in, there are no holes, and they're locked in at night. Unless theres something I'm missing I don't think anything is getting in there and taking the eggs.
    Their coop is 12 x 3.5ft but they have all day access to their enclosed run which is 12 x 20ft. I have confined them to their coop. They've honestly just stopped laying for months now. I will check their vents and joints, lol thought this will be my first attempt at ever doing this so hopefully I can figure out what I'm doing! ;) I swear these fluffy ladies take me out of my comfort zone more then I'd like to admit! Haha! You never stop learning though, right?!

I just wanted to put this out there too, they did each lay ONE egg each, in the nesting boxes. Those were the only eggs ever! Lol, unless someone is playing a cruel joke on me and slinked a green and dark born egg in there, they should be laying more. [​IMG]

5. mchlldickson

Feb 14, 2013
    Corona Ca
    Here are some pictures of the two trouble makers! ;)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by