Ameraucana and RIR--genders

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by NRML, Dec 7, 2013.

1. NRML

NRML Out Of The Brooder

Dec 1, 2013
    Hi-- These chicks are about 3 months old--three Americans and three RIRs. I picked them. I picked them out a couple months ago out of group of straight run chicks. I tried to pick all hens but I cannot tell Americana genders apart! I think the light is a rooster but not sure about other two? To me the RIRs look like hens? I wouldn't mind one of them to be a rooster, to be honest. What you guys think? Sorry I do not have better pics! Thank you[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 8, 2013
  2. CristinaB

CristinaB Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2013
    Knoxville Maryland
    The easiest way to tell sex of an American is to look at the area above the beak. There will be only one row of beads for females and three for your males. It would help to have face shots to tell them apart. The white one definitely looks male as his comb is raised and very red.Perhaps an expert in feathers could help with your photos. Your RIR look like pullets to me.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2013
  3. They all look like pullets, but I think the white one is a rooster.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Everyone I can see looks like a female. We need better pics of the splash bird to tell gender.

5. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    At 3 months of age, I would say all pullets except for the white splash/or lavender EE...need to see more body... That bird is not an Americana, there is no such breed, and not an Ameraucana as there is no white splash or lavender color in the strict breed standards for Ameraucana.

Your White Splash EE appears to be a roo as it has a red raised and large comb (not wattles....those are what hang below the beak and none are showing presently nor should show as the Ameraucana preference is very small or none present with the beard and muff). Usually males will exhibit 3 rows of peas and females one main row of peas (with sometimes small rows on each side); however, that is not fool proof. Some females have 3 rows as well, although it is unusual.

Your blue birds might be Ameraucana as there is a blue color standard but they appear a bit lighter. If they are not according to Ameraucana standards, then they would be called Easter Eggers too. If the place you got them at presented them as Americanas, they are all probably Easter Eggers as they will not be pure enough or on standard to be Ameraucanas as those who take the time to breed to standard know what to call them and how to spell it.

All of that just so you know. I think they are all pretty birds and you will have a lot of fun with them...but someone will eventually correct you if you call them Americanas.

Here's a good article to understand the differences. http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2011/09/ameraucana-easter-egger-or-araucana.html

Lady of McCamley

EDITED TO ADD: Here's the website for the Ameraucana breed standards http://www.ameraucana.org/scrapbook.html

Last edited: Dec 7, 2013
  6. Bullitt

Bullitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas
    The breed name is Ameraucana.

I have never heard them called "Americans" before.

"The Ameraucana is a breed of chicken thought to have been developed in the United States, though it is not clear exactly where they were developed (the Ameraucana Standard chicken is often classified under "All Other" as place of origin)."

7. NRML

NRML Out Of The Brooder

Dec 1, 2013
    Thank you all for the replies. LOL I had a bit of a laugh reading this as it was the darn spell check that decided to change the breed name to "Americans" and "Americana". Reading the reactions to the auto corrected name was rather funny though. (Although, I will admit, I wrote the name incorrectly as "Americauna" instead of "Ameraucana"...oops...not sure why I did that. If you take a look at my previous posts--on other threads--you will see that I am capable of spelling it correctly.)

Regardless, I will try to snap a better photo of the probable rooster tomorrow. For those who are interested, this is where the parents of these birds were bred http://www.padillas-peeps.com/theameraucanas.html

Glad everyone seems to agree the RIRs appear to be pullets.

If you see any other words that appear to be out of the ordinary, it is likely the spell checker back at it again. I am using a tablet and it is terribly ornery :)

8. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    We need better, side-profile photos, to tell for sure. But I think that all are pullets, except for the splash/white Ameraucana.

9. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I've been so frustrated with chicken terms and my spell checker! I even made a thread venting about it. I use a work computer and the spell check is on all the time, so all my breed names, etc are constantly underlined in red. And you're right, it comes up with some of the funniest suggestions!

10. NRML

NRML Out Of The Brooder

Dec 1, 2013
    Ha ha thank you for understanding! Glad I am not the only one :) I feel better now

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by