Ameraucana/Araucana/EasterEgger.... how to clear up confusion?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by SeaChick, Jun 6, 2008.

1. SeaChick

SeaChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    Southern Maine
    OK, like I haven't been sitting here emailing people ENOUGH over the last week, LOL!

But it's really COLD and drizzly out and I finished work, and I was reading some threads on here about the whole EE naming problem, so I though, "what if a whole bunch of people emailed the hatcheries and asked them to stop labeling EEs as Ameraucanas or Araucanas?"

Can't hurt, and isn't everyone getting tired of disappointing folks who think they have rare Araucanas when they have instead lovely EEs?

Here's what I wrote a couple hatcheries so far:
    Dear ------Hatchery,

I would just like to request that you consider listing the chickens you refer to as "Ameraucanas/Araucanas" by their true name, Easter Eggers. As you probably know, true Araucanas are a rumpless, tufted bird and quite rare, while true Ameraucanas must conform to a limited color selection.

While I understand that people may come looking for the birds by these incorrect names, as one of the most popular hatcheries in the country I feel you should do your part to help stem the spread of misinformation by calling them Easter Eggers. I am active on several internet chicken boards and the sheer volume of confusion surrounding the names is staggering. Feed stores who get the chicks from you and other hatcheries invariably tell customers they have "Araucanas" or "Ameraucanas" and some people are disappinted to learn they do not. In addition, breeders working hard to retain the real breeds are hurt.

I have Easter Eggers (some from your hatchery!) and they are wonderful chickens. Please help dispell the growing confusion about all three wonderful breeds!!

Sincerely,
    -------
    (and my web site URL)

What do you think?​

2. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    I think you kick booty! Great letter! [​IMG]

3. dacjohns

dacjohns People Cracker Upper

I like it but (prepare for pessimism) will it work. The hatcheries are there to make money. They won't make money selling Easter Eggers.

I sure hope it will make a difference. But if someone wants to raise rare birds I hope they do their homework first.

Can't hurt. The only thing you've invested is your time.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2008
  4. chicken_boy_Kurt

chicken_boy_Kurt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    You already know its an EE. I doubt they would really care what all of BYC (even all 11,000 of us) says.

5. rebeccakeesee

rebeccakeesee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    I agree it would be nice to be able to order thr rare breeds they advertise but As was already said anyone who dose their homework knows what to expect.

I plan to hatch EE birds some time next spring. They are bueatiful. [​IMG]

6. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    That's a good idea but it's been brought up before. I think dacjohns has a real good answer.

People(in general) WANT "Araucanas" because that is the breed they hear of. They want birds with the NAME. If the Araucana name is the name they know of, they will not want "Easter Egger". It's often nearly that simple.

Due to the lethal genes and difficulty of mass producing the "true" araucanas, they are not real suitable for hatchery production business. Easter eggers, OTOH produce really good n' easy. So it's the "name demand" plus encomonies..

I think it also doesn't help that so many EE look so similar to Ameraucanas, save for non-officially recognized color plus wrong leg color.

I keep wondering if most owners realize that since EE have literally no standard.. why not have fun with them? Make silky feathered ones. Autosexing lines. Feather legged birds. Make a line pure breeding for a particular color or pattern you like..

7. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    I'm planning on having fun with mine! [​IMG]

8. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    SeaChick - great letter! [​IMG] One additional note you might want to mention. Their intentional practices to misinform the public and sell something under an incorrect label is called "fraud". Such things often lead to class action lawsuits. While I know the majority say 'buyer beware', it is up to the business to provide accurate details about the products they are selling. If they can't do that, then perhaps they shouldn't be selling it.

Jody

9. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    I think I recall seeing in the fine print of the description on some sites the truth of the matter, even though they were still headed as Araucanas [​IMG]

10. Shrader

Shrader Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    I went to the feed store today to pick up 2 of what I was told were Araucana chicks.
    Upon inspection (having combed through Anne's beautiful website), I could tell these were EEs.
    I took them anyway, and I'll love them dearly.
    For me, I've really been more interested in having a variety of colored eggs to gather than pure-bred birds.
    So I don't mind the EEs.
    But I would have liked to have known in advance.
    (I even asked the girl on the phone, "Are you sure they're Araucanas and not EEs?" And she said, "Yeah.")

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by