Ameraucana/Barred Rock - Charlotte & Hawkeye's: All Growed Up (pg 4)

Cuban Longtails

Flock Mistress
12 Years
Sep 20, 2007
Northeast Texas
This is Charlotte & Hawkeye's baby from SpeckledHen (Cynthia). The end result of a sucessful fertiltity test!
smile.png
Charlotte is a Blue Ameraucana hen and Hawkeye is a Barred Rock rooster. As you can see, the chick has the yellow headspot associated with barred rock. There is also some slightly visible barring showing in the wings. The main color of the chick is currently black. Legs appear to be yellow/grey with a darker grey/black wash on the front. Notice the faint white eyeliner?
love.gif

RSCharlotteBaby001.jpg
RSCharlotteBaby002.jpg

RSCharlotteBaby003.jpg
RSCharlotteBaby004.jpg

RSCharlotteBaby005.jpg
RSCharlotteBaby006.jpg

RSCharlotteBaby009.jpg
RSCharlotteBaby010.jpg

RSCharlotteBaby013.jpg
RSCharlotteBaby014.jpg

edited to resize photos & layout

6 weeks old pictures: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=41585&p=2
8 weeks old pictures: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=41585&p=3

Last edited:
I love her! The ghosty, barely-there barring and the poufy cheeks! She's a beauty, Tara. Now, I know I'll set some of her eggs. I say "she", but it will be harder to really tell on this one, I think, with the mixed genes. Thank you for posting pics of this baby. I'm so happy about your hatch!
love.gif

Oh I know, we always hope for the females but even if it does turn out to be a boy I'll make a place for him!
big_smile.png
I can't tell with the comb either, I wonder if it will be pea combed or a mix of pea & single? This will be fun to watch it develop!

She's so cute! I love the poofy cheeks. As for the comb, I'd say you will get a mix. I believe when you cross Pea and Single, you get a weird 3 spiked thing,lol. I have a roo that had an EE mom and BR dad, and his comb came out so weird. She's really cute though, I wonder what color egg she'll lay!

Now that you mention it, I am a bit surprised that it has such a single-looking comb. Pea combs are really dominant, but my Orp/Brahma cross pullet has a sort of combo-comb with the center ridge so prominant that you dont realize it really is not a true single comb. Charlotte's pea comb is not a good pea, it's too raised up, much like my Lt. Brahma, Miranda's is. It looks like a wavy, crimped, thick single comb, actually. That's so definitely an Ameraucana cross with that baby beard! How sweet!

Quote:
That's exactly what I was thinking. My guess would be that Charlotte isn't pure for pea comb. This baby looks like it's going to have a single comb.

Except for the puffy cheeks, there's no real Ameraucana influence. Barred with puffy cheeks-it's going to be a looker!

lol, I noticed that little baby beard when I was taking the pictures. She is just too cute! And of course by next week she'll have changed again and I'll have to post more pictures.
wink.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I would really love to follow her progress! It's interesting that Charlotte's sister, Silver, had a perfect pea comb, but she does not. Still, she is a beautiful blue color with an exquisite temperament and lays a lovely pastel blue egg. I hope this is a pullet so we can see what color egg she'll lay. Tara, did you ever see a picture of Charlotte? Here she is:
DCP_8203Charlotte.jpg

Last edited:
This one is so sweet, I like that she doesn't try to stand in my hand when I hold her. She's just content to sit there as long as I don't try to move too much.
big_smile.png
I'm going to start bribing with scrambled and hard boiled eggs soon!
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom