Ameraucana Breed question??? Also, umbilical chord question.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Beccaprice1/, Mar 1, 2018.

1. Beccaprice1/

Beccaprice1/ Hatching

Mar 1, 2018
    Alright, I’m a new chicken owner and while I’ve done my research, i definitely want some answers!

Question one, I’ll insert a pic of one of my Ameraucana chicks. They look exactly like my barred rock chicks (outside of a tiny bit of white on the heads) and I’m just curious on if anyone can tell if they’re true Ameraucanas or another variety :) i honestly thought Ameraucanas usually had the pretty “stripe” down the middle as chicks and i saw some that were like that, but when i added 2 Ameraucanas to my pile, it was 2 black chicks. Just curious, this was TS, so u never know if you’re getting a mutt right?

Question 2- I’ve already dealt with pasty butt with one of my barred rocks. No, i have one ameraucana who I’m watching closely and trying to be careful with. I don’t think she’s clogged right now, but you can see a bit of poop below her vent. I’m trying to make sure there’s no chance of it being her umbilical chord before i go further into cleaning her good. I posted a pic of it for reference

Thank for the help y’all!!! 06E74C0A-6BF3-4D8F-A6AF-382A92FE5ABB.jpeg 0B90627C-D274-4681-B2CC-384A88832EDD.jpeg 44E1B512-7854-468B-B9C3-BDE74133A830.jpeg

henaynei likes this.
  2. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchi Wan Kenobi

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    The chicks pictured look like barred rocks. The ones that you have that they told you were barred rocks, do they not have the white dot on their heads? Because barred rocks DO have a white dot on their heads.

Pasty butt is pretty common in shipped chicks. The stresses and temperature changes of shipping cause it. Usually after they settle in for a few days with the proper temperatures, it goes away. You'll just need to keep cleaning them up until then :) Some vitamins in the water wouldn't be a bad idea either, like nutri-drench or sav-a-chick.

In that picture, that does not look like her umbilical cord. Generally, chicks don't have an umbilical cord, since their belly just closes right up after everything is absorbed, but it could have a little piece of something left. However, the umbilicus is much lower than the vent.

[​IMG]

henaynei and ChickNanny13 like this.
  3. Beccaprice1/

Beccaprice1/ Hatching

Mar 1, 2018
    Thanks for the reply! My barred rocks do have some white on their heads, it’s just seems the two i just got are a bit more prominent! I think the guy who got them for me made a mix up because i hoped i was wrong but realized very quickly that they were probably not the ameraucanas :(

henaynei likes this.
  4. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchi Wan Kenobi

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    If it makes you feel any better, you wouldn't have gotten ameraucanas at Tractor Supply no matter what you got. What they sell as ameraucanas are easter eggers, and they might not even lay blue or green eggs.

Were your chicks sexed or straight run? With barred rocks you can actually tell the gender based on the head spots and how dark the black wash down the legs is. That one you posted a picture of might be a cockerel.

henaynei likes this.
  5. wf1992

wf1992 In the Brooder

Jun 1, 2017
    My ameraucanas had fluffy cheeks from day one.

henaynei likes this.
  6. Beccaprice1/

Beccaprice1/ Hatching

Mar 1, 2018

My barred rocks are (should be) pullets. However, the two i just got are straight runs! I know they also had Dominique’s and they’re similar so I’m not sure which one the two i just got are, but definitely not the ameraucanas i asked for (lol). While they don’t look very different from the 2 i accidentally just got, i can tell the difference due to a little more white on the head- I’ll definitely be seeing if i can identify the genders of these two mystery chicks!!

This is one of my accidental chicks: 4E4AA39D-2C20-4BDD-B3B6-22A362000983.jpeg

These are the pullets: E2795597-E189-4B8D-B55B-CB3F101E2508.jpeg 0C5071DE-B8BA-4151-B029-A58C9D429C4E.jpeg

Attached Files:

henaynei likes this.
  7. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchi Wan Kenobi

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    They're cute!

You could tell whether they are dominiques or barred rocks by their combs. Barred rocks have single combs, and dominiques have rose combs :)

henaynei likes this.
  8. Hunters Hen's

Hunters Hen's In the Brooder

Mar 3, 2018
    I found my Ameraucana rooster grew much faster than the hen and had muffs early on.

henaynei likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: