Ameraucana Breeders to try?

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by FarmersFresh, Jan 17, 2009.

1. FarmersFresh

FarmersFresh Out Of The Brooder

Jan 17, 2009
    Garden State, NJ
    Hi I am new to this forum and I signed up because i wanted to do more research on Ameraucana breeders. I would like to buy some fertile eggs of Ameraucanas to start having some of those desirable blue eggs, the thing is I don't know who to choose in breeders. So it would be great to get your opinions even if you experienced anything negative with them. If the breeders would comment too that would be great. [​IMG]

After doing research and reading some of the threads here I found three breeders I am interested in purchasing from since they have sold here in the selling eggs area in the past.

1. Pasofinofarm member-I see she has bred for hardiness and I think heaviness(what do you mean heavines? in feathers?) was also said in her thread. they are very beautiful and wanted to know. Of course I am interested in the nice blue eggs. Can anyone rate them for me? and she has Cree and Smith lines, does she have other lines too? and her blue eggs are they very dark? can they be comparible to the other breeders?

2.Peachick-She has very nice blue eggs, and her Chickens are gorgeous as well. she has pips&peeps lines so would they be the same chicks or would they be genetically diferent? or would hers be the same?

3.Pips&peeps- She has allot of chickens, and she has very beautiful chickens and her lines are allot, from barbara campbell, paul smith, and other not sure of. (i was able to get info through her site lucky me!)

I really cant tell the difference, but has anyone bought from all three and seen any difference in their stocks? I would like a chicken that is hardy, show/quality standard for our farm, and has been bred for egg laying capability and that nice blue egg color.

I am sorry if I am asking too much questions as a newcomer, its just soo confusing with all the breeders out there. I would like the help. thank you.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2009
  2. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    pasofino has nice egg and chicks
    peachick posted pics of hers and they are originally from Jean (pips&peeps), pics look like Jean's so I would think it would be same.
    pips&peeps, Jean has nice egg and chicks also.
    I would recommend all, as I have heard things about all and had bought from 2. Now their distance to you may be a better factor. I have found that eggs shipped to me from different parts of the country do differently. Also, you need to decide what color Ameraucana you want. There are other breeders on here but I don't have experience with them *yet* [​IMG] .

eta-geareduplyn(Gary) has some nice blue ameraucana, and ozarkrose(Rose) has nice brown/red ameraucana(she also has other colors). I also bought from both of them. Good luck in your search [​IMG]

3. pasofinofarm

pasofinofarm NONESUCH FARM CONROE TX

Mar 22, 2007
    Near Houston, TX
    Hi,

Guess which one I am? [​IMG]

I love Jean's stock and peachick is breeding some nice chickens too. I have to second the distance issue. The less eggs have to travel the less chance there is for the post office to do damage.

I will also say that if you are in a warmer climate then I may be your person. I have hens laying like crazy right now. Some are at the end of a long laying cycle and will molt when it really heats up, some are just firing up. All Ameraucana (of the purebred varieties) lay a beautiful blue egg that lightens over the breeding cycle. Then after rest or molt they start over with very blue, repeat.

I will also say pick somebody and get on thier list soon. I am sure I speak for everyone here when I say that once the warm weather comes to the midwest and the north I am out some days praying for one more egg so I can get a box in the mail. Every egg that is laid here is sold before it lands in the nest in March/April/May/June.

Glad to see you doing your research. Oh and by heavier I meant in weight. We are a working famr and produce almost all of our own food so laying ability and table qualities are paramount in my breeding program. I eat my extra birds and I have seen bigger pigeons than some of my original stock [​IMG] So did some breeding toward a bird that goes good with dumplings if it doesn't make the cut for the breeding pen.

Blessings,
    Melissa

4. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    What you mention above breeders are all excellent to try out! Distance is the biggest factor in incubating your eggs in the best possible condition it needs to travel.

Give them a try, you wont be disappointed!

5. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2007
    Washington State
    Hi,

I breed and show Wheaten & Blue Wheaten Ameraucanas. My lines came from Paul Smith. I looked twice (and may have still missed it) but I didn't see where you listed the variety you are looking for.

I would suggest going to www.ameraucana.org and looking at the Breeders List there. Then calling the folks and talking to them. Don't be shy about asking a lot of questions.

God Bless,

6. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    Welcome To BYC !!!!!! [​IMG]
    All the breeders you listed have fantastic birds [​IMG] I have bought from peachick before and I am very very pleased. Paso has amazing looking birds and so does jean. I agree I would make my choice by distance. I do know that peachick has a long list as she is the only breeder you listed on the east coast.

Good luck Ameraucana are one of my favorite breeds and I love my three I have two hens from Peachick and a blue rooster from Will Marrow.

Henry

7. cottagegarden

cottagegarden Eggistentialist

Oct 2, 2008
    SE PA
    First, I want to commend you on doing research before you get your stock. I think a big mistake someone can make when they get excited about a breed is to jump in at the first set of eggs they see, here or on Ebay. With money being tight these days you might as well may good choices and be happy with your flock over the long haul All the breeders you listed have wonderful birds and are valued and contributing members on this forum. There are a few more members here too, who are members of the Ameraucana Breeders Club. Every breeder I have had the pleasure to meet has been delightful and wonderfully informative to me about their birds. If you are interested in show potential you should talk to the breeders. I think it is fascinating to see breeding evolution in process and to see the end goal when they get there. Every breeder probably has something they are interested in along with meeting the standard-know the history of yours.....breeders put so much time, money, hard work and their hearts into their birds-Good luck to you-you have come to the right place!!

8. Squeaky

Squeaky I squeak, therefore I am

Jul 5, 2008
    Albuquerque, NM
    I have two gorgeous black Ameraucana beauties from Paul Smith. They arrived in early January and are finishing their quarantine period. I bought layer culls since I have no intention of breeding them and was more interested in the pretty eggs. What astounded me was the quality and personality of the birds. If these are the *culls* I expect his breeding stock must be magnificent.

Doing business with Paul was very easy and I found him to be honest and straight-forward about everything.

Shipping was a bit pricy because it's expensive to ship adult birds, yet Elphaba and Nessarose are definitely worth it.

9. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    I also raise Ameraucana but just the Black Variety. I do not advertise very much. My birds have come from Smith, Cree and DeSmidt (Spelling?) in that order.

I will agree with everyone that location is key, get someone closest to you. Shipping will take its toll on any eggs, but the closer the better, less bumping and chances of broken air cells which will make the embroyo not grow. Also altitude I feel pays a part. Anything from me that goes West has to go over the Rocky Mountains, which could play a part of damaging air cells. I rarely have broken eggs when I ship them out to others.

I have had eggs sent to me that have done extremely well, and most that have done nothing. Do not spend any more than you can afford to lose is the way to look at it.

10. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2007
    Washington State
    Quote:Having gotten birds from Paul myself, I can echo those comments. Not only was Paul a true joy to work with but I know from numerous conversations with him that he takes great care of his birds, is very selective for his breeding, and is a true honest guy to deal with.

I'm very happy with the birds I got from Paul.

God Bless,

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by