Ameraucana Bump in Neck

Miss Pearl

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 14, 2013
I have 4 new Ameraucana's that are 5 weeks old and all females. I noticed that one of the chicks had a small fluid filled bump between her neck and breast. I've been watching it and it appears to be getting larger. Today I picked her up and a little liquid came from her mouth and her bump is now the size of a small tennis ball. She's eating and drinking and taking dust bath, but I'm really concerned. This doesn't seem normal. Does anyone have any information or suggestions. Thank you so much!

I have 4 new Ameraucana's that are 5 weeks old and all females. I noticed that one of the chicks had a small fluid filled bump between her neck and breast. I've been watching it and it appears to be getting larger. Today I picked her up and a little liquid came from her mouth and her bump is now the size of a small tennis ball. She's eating and drinking and taking dust bath, but I'm really concerned. This doesn't seem normal. Does anyone have any information or suggestions. Thank you so much!
Hi Miss Pearl,

You probably need to post your question in this section: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures

Sounds like her crop may be blocked and there are people who can help you with ways to treat her.

Good luck, and I hope she feels better soon.

Does anyone have a way to treat a blocked crop in my 5 week old chicken. It's not hard but feels like it's full of fluid. Thank you for any suggestions or help you could give me.

I am really in need of advise or any suggestions that I could get. My chicken is 7 weeks old. It
appears that it's her crop. I watched you tube videos and tried to help her get rid of this crop. I am submitting a photo of her (on the right). Please, I really need help and I don't know how to help her.

First things first, you need to figure out if she really does have a problem moving food through her crop, or if she's just a little piggy. Remove all food for 12 hours, usually nighttime is the best time to do this. Then examine her. 12 hours is more than enough time for a normal, healthy crop to empty completely. If it's empty, you just have a pullet that really likes to eat a lot, nothing to worry over. If the crop is hard in the morning, it's likely impacted. If it feels full, but squishy, it's sour crop. There are multiple threads addressing both issues.

Thank you so much for your advise, Junebuggena
I am so thrilled to announce that I will be raising a lil pig instead of a hen. You were absolutely correct. Betsy Mae LOVES her food and goes back to the food every time the other girls go eat. Haha. I am so happy she's going to be okay. I was just sick thinking something serious was wrong. Thanks again for responding to my question.

Back
Top Bottom