1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ameraucana chick feather question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Jasper_899, Oct 26, 2009.

1. Jasper_899

Jasper_899 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2009
    Alaska
    I hatched this lil guy out about 3 weeks ago. The only one to hatch out of 9 eggs and he (Im guessing hes a roo) sure is a fighter. Even hatched out of the smallest egg I received, Im just so happy that at least one hatched we even named him Uno. But I noticed something weird, I ordered the eggs as pure-bred b/b/s Ameraucana and there was no beard or muffs, but I figured that they would grow in time. He defiantly has a pea comb.
    But then I noticed something different as he started to feather out. His secondary flight feathers are growing backwards at least I think thats what I'm seeing [​IMG] Anyone know whats going on? I've had chicks before and none have ever done this before.

Here he is at about 5 days old:
    [​IMG]
    He loves his stuffed animal rooster <3
    [​IMG]

And here he is today

Sorry, red light:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I just love this lil guy to death, but I was hoping on a show quality bird.
    So other than his lil feathering out problem hes very healthy, active and has finally learned how to drink from a rabbit water bottle xD Hes not even lonely anymore, but I will still bring him to my zoology class during the day next week so he gets some socializing.

And if the pictured are not very good I can take more to help you out, but tell me where.

Thanks [​IMG]

2. Heather J

Heather J Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2008
    hose are some odd looking feathers. Not curled, so their aren't frizzled but kind of sticking out there. It's possible as the rest of his feathers come in that they may straighten out and look right. It's hard to tell when they are so young. My silkies' feathers kind of look like they are poking out instead of laying reasonably flat, and they are about the same age. I'd give it some time and see what happens. Good luck!

3. bibliophile birds

bibliophile birds Chillin' With My Peeps

i can't help with the feathering question, but i wanted to let you know that you had the most beautiful chick i've ever seen! and he's still pretty good looking, even with funky feathers!

4. RAWR

RAWR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    who wants to know?
    we have a blue EE that looked just like that xD
    im sure ur roo will be beautifull tho
    some chicks just take alittle extra time to feather out
    heres our blue now:
    [​IMG]

5. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    I hve had chicks with messy feathers like that before, they turn out just fine [​IMG]

as for beard and muff you should see them a little, some are not as fluffy but they should have them at that age.

very cute [​IMG]

eta looking at the pics again I would say it has no beard, very odd. I would contact the seller.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2009
  6. Ghostchick

Ghostchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Oh my gosh, he is cute! My rooster looked horrible in the feather developing stages, but looks much better now. OK, except for the girls pulling out his tail feathers. He is a wimp. I had some chicks that were agressive to begin with and now not as much. Just wait and see what happens.

7. <3<3 I <3 Chickens <3<3

<3<3 I <3 Chickens <3<3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2009
    Earth
    cute chicky!
    My little boy, Lance, and all the other birds in the batch, the buffs were the worst tho, had crazy feathers. Remember, the are growing and are doing their best. His feather will smoth out and he will look like a normal chicken.

If you ask me, all chickens are show quality, except if they are deformed [​IMG] poor birdies!

_ _
    born2Bwild

Last edited: Oct 27, 2009
  8. Jasper_899

Jasper_899 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2009
    Alaska
    Thanks for the comments everyone, I guess I will give him time and see what happens, I don't mind him looking silly for now, even entertains my family. But I really do hope they flatten out as he is matures [​IMG]

Quote:Yeah I have noticed that some chicks have muffs and beard but they are not as fluffy, but mine has none. I was hoping for some chicks with poofy faces too [​IMG] My EE has really poofy muffs and a beard but I had never seen him as a chick since I got him at about 16 weeks.

9. tiffster011

tiffster011 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2009
    Quote:This is a great looking bird... I am envious. I live in AZ where it is super hot. We live in a crowded subdivision, so I am limited with the types of hen that I can have.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by