Ameraucana Chick Wing Injury

Loliver

In the Brooder
May 10, 2020
Rough day. My 1 month old partridge Silkie drown and my 1 month old Ameraucana has a pretty bad wing injury. Please help, I can’t lose them both.

I have six ducks and two chickens. The chickens are the oldest at a month, the ducklings are two weeks. Anyway, at night we keep them in the coop and in the morning we let them out into a completely enclosed run. When my husband let them out this morning he noticed that my Ameraucana had what looked like blood on her wing. She allows me to touch the wing and the blood is dried but it looks like flesh when I move her feathers and I’m really concerned.I’m sorry if the pictures are upsetting, I just need help. My Silkie passed today when she slipped into the duck pond and I don’t think I could bare to lose my Ameraucana.

Attachments

• 525E72C9-49C1-4238-A75F-080171EFF8D6.jpeg
    525E72C9-49C1-4238-A75F-080171EFF8D6.jpeg
    460.9 KB · Views: 31
  • 5B675793-1ECB-414C-974C-15DFDAC0B704.jpeg
    5B675793-1ECB-414C-974C-15DFDAC0B704.jpeg
    324.4 KB · Views: 4
Sorry about your loss. That appears to be a pecking injury, but could there have been a predator around? I would spray it with Vetericyn or Chlorhexidene and apply plain Neosporin or Triple Antibiotic Ointment twice a day. Is it holding the wing up or down? I would try to separate it for a day or two with a divider in the brooder.

Sorry about your loss. That appears to be a pecking injury, but could there have been a predator around? I would spray it with Vetericyn or Chlorhexidene and apply plain Neosporin or Triple Antibiotic Ointment twice a day. Is it holding the wing up or down? I would try to separate it for a day or two with a divider in the brooder.
I separated her from everyone last night and brought her inside. I’m going to try what you suggested with the Vetericyn and Triple Antibiotic.

My husband is the one who let her out of the coop yesterday morning and she had the injury. Our coop has a 3/4th inch gap around the “poop tray” and I think an animal could definitely put their paw into there to grab at them. We have a plan for a larger coop that is a shed with enclosed run to move them into before winter so
I’ll figure something out to cover the gap.

You said it could be a pecking injury, could one of the ducks done that? I read during their mating season ducks can be agressive like that towards other ducks and chickens but these ducklings are a little over a month.

Back
Top Bottom