1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ameraucana chick with green around eyes?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by IndianaSilkies, Mar 25, 2009.

1. IndianaSilkies

IndianaSilkies Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2009
    Chalmers, Indiana
    I stopped in at my local Rural King (like TSC) and they had some chicks she said were Ameraucana. Some did have the chipmunk look to them, some didn't, but two of them had green around their eyes. I didn't look like chalk or paint and the woman said she didn't know why it was green. Any ideas? I didn't have a camera on me to get a picture. Just wondering why it was green as I had never seen this before....

2. Solsken Farm

Solsken Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Sounds like an Easter Egger candidate. [​IMG]

3. IndianaSilkies

Feb 16, 2009
    Chalmers, Indiana
    I would have bought them just to add to our flock and see what they turned into but the store has a crazy 25 chick minimum requirement. They wouldn't sell me just a few even though I practically live in that store![​IMG]

4. Solsken Farm

What a strange policy for a store. [​IMG]

5. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    sometimes the hatcheries mark them, it could be residual from that...and yes, even though they say they are ameraucana, they are EE's [​IMG]

6. DiVon80

DiVon80 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Pearl River,Louisiana
    What exactly is an EE??[​IMG]

7. Laura78

Laura78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2009
    Snohomish County, WA
    Easter Egger. They look a lot like an Ameraucana to the untrained eye (mine still, lol). But they lay Easter colored eggs. I think Ameraucanas are suppose to lay blue eggs, or was that green? A lot of the hatcheries sell EE as Ameraucanas, I bought 5 thinking they were Ameraucanas, but I'm happy they're in fact EE, I got them for the variaty of egg colors.

8. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Some states have minimum purchase requirements--it seems rather stupid to me--there are plenty of folks who have very small flocks and replace birds one at a time. I believe the requirements came about because of abandoned Easter Basket pets. Seems like there are other, better ways to regulate that--like maybe making it a crime to abandon animals? Like maybe requiring purchasers to sign a statement that the bird will be properly taken care of? Like ...

9. Solsken Farm

Quote:Okay, so I can understand that policy, but 25 seems unfair to all those city folk, etc. I agree regulations make much more sense. Or do like the humane sociiety does and don't allow the sales around easter. (human society does this at Christmas in my area)

10. IndianaSilkies

Feb 16, 2009
    Chalmers, Indiana
    The funny thing about the 25 chick minimum is that we are a farming community not a big city....[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by