1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

ameraucana chicken eggs..all the same color?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ther00ster'scr0w, Jan 24, 2010.

1. ther00ster'scr0w

ther00ster'scr0w Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Bay Area CA
    I am a new chicken owner of two ameraucanas ( I think..one of them seems to look like an EE) any ways...they have just begun to lay bluish eggs, and one day we got a brownish/light pinkish egg. At first I thought it was from my Barred Rock or Buff Orpington, but since that color egg has stopped appearing but the bluish egg has reappeared
    --do ameraucana's egg color vary per bird? like will it lay on color egg its whole life? Again, I am a new chicken owner, and everywhere I've looked seems to say its a solid one color, but I'm not sure, so please excuse me if this is a naiive question!
    But any knowledge will be a great help!

2. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    Can you post a couple pics of your "Ameraucanas" please? Also my friend had an EE lay brown one day and blue the other.

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    The same chicken will not lay different colored eggs.

They will get lighter in color through the laying cycle, but they will basically stay the same color.

Vikings just got a touchdown! (sorry I want the old man to win)

4. ther00ster'scr0w

ther00ster'scr0w Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Bay Area CA
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

haha I'm watching the game too!
    anyways back to chicken business...I am pretty sure the first one is ameraucana and couldn't find a perfect picture of the questionable one, but it is the one in the middle with it's head up..the dark one.
    Thanks for yuor help!

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    She's an EE.

6. M To The Maxx

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    Quote:I agree. Also Go SAINTS Mahonri! [​IMG]

7. M To The Maxx

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    Saints scored! [​IMG] Sorry I just had to! [​IMG]

8. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Quote:I agree. Also Go SAINTS Mahonri! [​IMG]

Yeah, they just scored. it's tied.

9. evonne

evonne Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Las Vegas
    i have 6 EE's
    2 lay terracotta eggs, and 4 lay in the green family....
    could it be that the 2 blues you found in one day one was from the previous day???
    i know when each of my EE's started they laid an egg, then it was a few days to a week before the next one came... then the time between got closer and now i'm getting 3 a day... the 4th hasn't started back since her molt yet...

10. caribayb

caribayb New Egg

Jan 27, 2010
    This might be a dumb question, but do Ameracaunas lay blue/green eggs right from the start? I've got three Ameracauna hens, and two started laying two weeks ago... but they are not laying blue/green eggs. They are laying light brown and white-speckled eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by