Ameraucana chicks from Ideal

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by johnnam, Sep 20, 2007.

1. johnnam

johnnam Out Of The Brooder

Jul 14, 2007
    sweet home, OR
    I bought two ameracana chicks from Ideal and they both have the "chipmunk" marking on them. I thought I read somewhere that chicks with these markings are a "breed". I am just curious if they are a true breed or are they "mutts"? [​IMG]

2. 2mnypets

2mnypets Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Galesburg, IL.
    Very typical of the EE's. Anything you get from a hatchery is not a true Ameraucana. Here are some pics of mine that I got from Ideal.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    Yeah i would definitely say Ideal's"Amercaunas" are mutts.
    here are my two from Ideal at a week old..
    [​IMG]

Then at about 5 or 6 weeks old. I don't have any recent pics, but the bottom girls also is lacking a beard and muffs, the other girl has a beard and muffs, both have green legs.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. johnnam

johnnam Out Of The Brooder

Jul 14, 2007
    sweet home, OR
    Thanks, I wasn't expecting a pure bred after reading on this site about hatcheries. I would like to get some in the spring though. Has anyone had any luck on getting the colored eggs from EE from Ideal? Thats what I was hoping for when I ordered them.

5. 2mnypets

2mnypets Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Galesburg, IL.
    I could probably tell you in about 3 weeks. That's when they will be old enough to start laying. My girls were born on May 30th of this year.

6. mom'sfolly

mom'sfolly Overrun With Chickens

Feb 15, 2007
    Austin area, Texas
    I got my two EEs from Ideal via the feedstore. One has muffs and beard, and she lays a blue green egg, my other has no beard and muff and lays an olive green egg.

7. Wooden_Pony

Wooden_Pony Chillin' With My Peeps

mom'sfolly :

I got my two EEs from Ideal via the feedstore. One has muffs and beard, and she lays a blue green egg, my other has no beard and muff and lays an olive green egg.

Oh that is interesting.

Mine are from Ideal as well via the feedstore one has the muff might still be working on the beard, the other nothing. I wonder if they will lay the same as yours....

They are still young around 14 weeks old.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by