Ameraucana Chicks Gender?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Catalana, Jun 10, 2016.

1. Catalana

Catalana Just Hatched

May 27, 2016
    I'm hoping to get a better idea of the gender of my chicks. Also wondering about what colors I have. I know they are either wheaten or blue wheaten but not totally sure. Also wondering about my pullets' colors. Here are the pullets, hanging on the porch. One has black tail feathers so wheaten, but the other doesn't have darker tail feathers at all.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here are the chicks. The more light blue one hops up like a boxer with one of the light ones, so I was thinking males? But then I read the darker ones are males, so I'm not sure.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Also wondering about their age. I'm thinking I should switch to grower feed soon.
    Thanks for any info!

2. Alexandra33

Alexandra33 Chillin' With My Peeps

All the pretty light-colored, strawberry blonde ones are pullets, and the darker ones are cockerels. [​IMG] I could be wrong, but they look to be anywhere from 4-6 weeks old. They're SO beautiful! I love Wheatens and Blue Wheatens. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 10, 2016
  3. Catalana

Catalana Just Hatched

May 27, 2016
    Thanks for your input Alexandra33 :)
    Looks like I have 3 cockerels... Maybe the light blue one is female?
    In a little while I'll have some roosters to give away. :( I'll do my best to find them homes

4. Alexandra33

Pretty sure the light blue is a cockerel.....[​IMG] Wheaten females get that lovely beige/strawberry color while the roos feather in with either Black (Wheaten) or any shade of Blue (Blue Wheaten).

~Alex

5. Catalana

Catalana Just Hatched

May 27, 2016
    Thanks again for the info. Easy for me to find chick and adult descriptions, but I couldn't find any about signs of gender in how chicks develop. Well now I can breed blue wheatens as I think one of my pullets is blue wheaten.

6. Alexandra33

You're so welcome! They're such stunning babies. [​IMG]

~Alex

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by