Ameraucana Chicks, what color would this be?

StelleKitten

Songster
9 Years
Jun 27, 2012
Granbury, Tx

I was wondering what color these would be and would they be considered EE's or not. I got these birds from our feed store here in town and he got them from Ideal Poultry.

How can they sell them as Ameraucana then? Wouldn't that be false advertising?

Yes. Easter Eggers are an ameraucana cross and are often sold as ameraucanas. Easter Eggers are still great though. They (usually) lay green/blue eggs. It's really fun to watch them grow up because you can never be sure what they'll turn into.

Last edited:
I still love the chicks they are adorable. How would i tell the difference between amer. And ee? I wouldn't want to lie, even if it is a common thing. I would feel wrong.

ameraucanas only come in 8 showable colors. so even if you have pure ameraucanas, if each was a different color and you crossed them, their babies would be ee's since they would not meet a showable color. Most but not all ee's have greenish to grey legs, can come with or without muffs/beard, and can lay a light brown to blue/green egg, and can be any color under the sun
big_smile.png
so in short if it lays a colored egg but doesnt fit any other breed (other breeds also lay colored eggs) than its and ee Hope this helps

That does help. So I won't know for sure what they are until they start laying.

Back to the original question, can you tell what color the chicks are going to be?

that's the thing with ee's they change colors as they get older. My dad has red chicks like your middle one that turn out to be white and black as adults alot of times

Oh. I finally got an answer back from Ideal (the hatchery the bred them) and they told me that they only have blue or green egg Ameraucana chickens. So hopefully they will be the right colors. I can't wait to get some neat colored eggs.

Back
Top Bottom