Ameraucana Chicks, what color would this be?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by StelleKitten, Mar 4, 2013.

1. StelleKitten

StelleKitten Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2012
    Granbury, Tx
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I was wondering what color these would be and would they be considered EE's or not. I got these birds from our feed store here in town and he got them from Ideal Poultry.

2. StelleKitten

Jun 27, 2012
    Granbury, Tx
    Oh and since you can't tell from the pics. They all have tails coming in. About how old do you think they are?

3. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    most hatcheries sell ee's

4. StelleKitten

Jun 27, 2012
    Granbury, Tx
    How can they sell them as Ameraucana then? Wouldn't that be false advertising?

5. Ilovemyduckies

Ilovemyduckies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2012
    Yes. Easter Eggers are an ameraucana cross and are often sold as ameraucanas. Easter Eggers are still great though. They (usually) lay green/blue eggs. It's really fun to watch them grow up because you can never be sure what they'll turn into.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2013
  6. StelleKitten

Jun 27, 2012
    Granbury, Tx
    I still love the chicks they are adorable. How would i tell the difference between amer. And ee? I wouldn't want to lie, even if it is a common thing. I would feel wrong.

7. ramirezframing

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    ameraucanas only come in 8 showable colors. so even if you have pure ameraucanas, if each was a different color and you crossed them, their babies would be ee's since they would not meet a showable color. Most but not all ee's have greenish to grey legs, can come with or without muffs/beard, and can lay a light brown to blue/green egg, and can be any color under the sun [​IMG] so in short if it lays a colored egg but doesnt fit any other breed (other breeds also lay colored eggs) than its and ee Hope this helps

8. StelleKitten

Jun 27, 2012
    Granbury, Tx
    That does help. So I won't know for sure what they are until they start laying.

Back to the original question, can you tell what color the chicks are going to be?

9. ramirezframing

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    that's the thing with ee's they change colors as they get older. My dad has red chicks like your middle one that turn out to be white and black as adults alot of times

10. StelleKitten

Jun 27, 2012
    Granbury, Tx
    Oh. I finally got an answer back from Ideal (the hatchery the bred them) and they told me that they only have blue or green egg Ameraucana chickens. So hopefully they will be the right colors. I can't wait to get some neat colored eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by