Ameraucana cockerels or pullets?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Frost Homestead, Sep 15, 2011.

1. Frost Homestead

Frost Homestead eggmonger

Jul 9, 2011
    Lago Vista, TX
    [​IMG]
    The one with the black coming in I've already identified as a wheaten cockerel. what about the others?

[​IMG] [​IMG]

One of them is a lot lighter than the rest, it's white with a little buff coming in on the neck and only a touch of blue on this tip of each primary.

3 of them are pastel blue, buff, and cream colored. They all have buff coming in on the pin feathers on their necks but none of them are dark like the obvious dark feathers on the wheaten cockerel. None of the neck feathers are blue, black or rusty red, only buff.

I'm thinking I have 4 pullets and one cockerel. Am I being too optimistic? What do ya'll think?

2. bloom_ss

bloom_ss Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2011
    Spokane Valley, WA
    I'm thinking they are a bit young to tell for sure yet. Either that or I'm just not that good at telling the sexes apart. LOL

3. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Good luck with that as this young age. The pictures will have to be individual showing stance, legs and a comb shot helps too. But don't come asking me cuz I have no idea 'bout sexing EEs. Pretty babies!

4. Frost Homestead

Jul 9, 2011
    Lago Vista, TX
    Quote:They're not EE. They're purebred wheaten/blue wheaten Ameraucanas. The reason I ask is because they're supposed to be pretty easy to sex young due to the fact that the pullets and cockerels are completely different colors. I posted a thread with individual pics of them in profile and from above but no one ever replied to my post.

5. ChickasaurusRex

ChickasaurusRex Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    SF Bay
    I had 4 and could tele early! I think you have only 1 boy BUT they can trick you and change their color from light fluff to dark feathers [​IMG]
    The really light one is a little odd ball huh? [​IMG] I think they're beautiful! [​IMG]

6. Bravo

Bravo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2009
    CA
    It's a little early. If there are any blue wheaten boys in there they seem to take a little longer for the blue to feather in. Give it a few more weeks to know for sure.

You can also look at the new feather growth deep in the breast area to see if there are any blue or black feathers growing in.

7. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    The darker one is an obvious Wheaten male.

The nearly White one looks a male too.

The others look like females. [​IMG]

8. Frost Homestead

Jul 9, 2011
    Lago Vista, TX
    Quote:darn, you think the white one looks male? that was the one I thought was for sure a pullet. [​IMG] I guess I'll just have to wait until they get little bigger to know for sure.

I was wondering, if the white one might be male, what color is he considered?

9. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Well first I have to ask - Are the parents Wheaten x Blue Wheaten or Blue Wheaten x Blue Wheaten?

If BW x BW he's a Splash Wheaten male.

If W x BW it may actually either be a fluke white male or a very pale Splash Wheaten female.

10. Frost Homestead

Jul 9, 2011
    Lago Vista, TX
    When I got them I was told they were all blue wheaten. obviously the one dark one is a wheaten roo so I'm assuming they are W x BW. The lady I got them from had purchased them as hatching eggs from someone along with some SLW and was selling the chicks. I didn't get the impression she knew very much about Ameraucanas.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by