Ameraucana Colors

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by FlyingtheCoop, Aug 26, 2010.

1. FlyingtheCoop

FlyingtheCoop Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2010
    Would it be possible to see pictures of each color of hens? I'm brand new to the world of backyard chickens and I'd love to see what each of these colors look like in comparison. Thanks in advance!

2. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2010
  3. FlyingtheCoop

FlyingtheCoop Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2010
    Ok, so when I read about "splash" colors is that just an unaccepted color or does that make the bird an EE? I really appreciate all the information I am getting here so far!

4. HBuehler

HBuehler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Lebanon TN
    Splash is an unrecognized color but happens with blue breeding. You can't show them but you use them for blue breeding.They are an EE of sorts like lavender because they are a non accepted color but are Ameraucana. EE's you just don't know what's hiding there but the splash Ameraucana you know.

5. cottagegarden

cottagegarden Eggistentialist

Oct 2, 2008
    SE PA
    You can show them under AOV. Although, sometimes you see EE's shown under that, too. We will be showing Lav this year. I dont tend to think of the Splashes first to show,
    just bc we have nice blues and blacks, I guess. We will show splash Silkies and Cochins.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by