Ameraucana colors??

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by MomMommyMamma, Feb 11, 2011.

1. MomMommyMamma

MomMommyMamma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    West Virginia
    I'd love to see pics of blue/wheaten ameraucanas. I see listings for this color but the images with the listings always show a wheaten hen and a blue roo. Is this because that is the parent stock or are ameraucanas one of those breeds where the hen & rooster don't look the same? Also, does the feather color color have any influence at all on the egg color? Thank you so VERY much! And don't laugh if it's a silly question...the question exists because of titles I am seeing on hatching egg listings here and other places. [​IMG]

2. TK Poultry

TK Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    No their are wheaten roosters and blue wheaten hens. If you go to www.ameraucana.org and click on the Photo page it will bring up a list of links to get to pictures of what you want.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2011
  3. MomMommyMamma

Jun 13, 2010
    West Virginia
    Quote:I'll check it out. It's the term "blue wheaten" that is throwing me. This is a separate coloring from "blue" and from "wheaten" then?

4. MomMommyMamma

Jun 13, 2010
    West Virginia
    Thanks - that does answer the question. Is there blue on the blue wheaten hen in some form then? In the picture on that site of the hen I only see a feather or two on her wing that are dark - that's the blue? They are gorgeous!

5. TK Poultry

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    I think maybe whats throwing you is the fact the hens and roosters are different colors. ALL the hens are a cream color with either Blue, Black or Splash in the tail and primary wing feathers. The roosters are the classic thing when thinking of a wheaten. A blue wheaten rooster has blue on the breast and part of the wing. The wheaten is the same pattern with just black replacing blue and the splash wheaten is also the same just splash in those areas. A blue is ALL Blue all over a blue wheaten rooster is a darker red and blue and a blue wheaten hen is a cream and blue.

6. MomMommyMamma

Jun 13, 2010
    West Virginia
    Quote:[​IMG] Yes - thank you! Got it now.

7. TK Poultry

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    Quote:[​IMG] Yes - thank you! Got it now.

Your welcome I would still go look at those pictures for a more clear picture of what they look like. I have a wheaten rooster and blue hens but they are really in no shape to be photographed. Plus they are taking refuge in my garage until their pen is fixed.

here is the website again just in case www.ameraucana.org

8. MomMommyMamma

Jun 13, 2010
    West Virginia
    I did look. I really love the blue wheaten rooster and the wheaten hen. Since I can't add both to the flock (budget & space), I think I like the blue wheatens the best. Thanks for your help!

9. TK Poultry

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    Quote:yep and if your breed them you should get some of each of the three wheaten colors. GOOD Choice. I have all wheatens myself.

10. Birch Run Farm

Birch Run Farm Biddy up!

Sep 5, 2008
    VERMONT
    My BW cock as a cockerel:

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by