Ameraucana Combs

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by johnmayersquare, May 7, 2008.

1. johnmayersquare

johnmayersquare Let's Talk About Chicks, Man!

Nov 17, 2007
    Port Orchard, WA
    Do Ameraucana chicks develop red in their combs, indicating that they would possibly be a roo??? I have several "supposed" pullets that look like their combs are a bit "redder" than the other ones.........

Thanks!

2. BettyR

BettyR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    I don’t know about the color of the comb they all look the same color to me; this is my first time to raise Ameraucanas (mine are 3 weeks old) but one chick looks like a small hawk. I’d just about be willing to bet that it’s the roo. It’s bigger and stouter than the rest of the chicks and has a really big head. Whatever it is it’s going to be a beautiful bird.

I ordered 8 pullets and 1 roo; about 5 days after I got them I lost one of the chicks and I was really afraid that it was the roo but I think I lucked out and kept my roo. [​IMG]

How old are your babies? By the time they are 4 to 5 weeks old the roos should really be starting to stand out.

3. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    Can you post a pic? I have some that are hens with redish combs and some with pale colored combs.

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Here are male and female Ameraucana chicks at four weeks old. If you have EE chicks, the comb traits will still hold true for them. The males will get a wide, thick, raised comb with usually three distinct ridges rather than just a flattish comb with only the center prominent like the females. The first two are male, the others female:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. johnmayersquare

johnmayersquare Let's Talk About Chicks, Man!

Nov 17, 2007
    Port Orchard, WA
    Hmmmm....Well......they are just 7 weeks today actually, and I know a couple of them have redder/larger combs than the other ones. I'll take some pics today and post them later.....Thanks so much for all the help! [​IMG]

6. speckledhen

Maybe this will be better then. These are eight weeks old, sister & brother.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. RobinEgg

RobinEgg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2008
    I find the combs of my EE (ordered as Ameracauna from MM) to resemble those posted by Speckledhen. The 3
    that I have identified as roos at 5 wks are doing quite a bit of sparring with each other. At 5 wks their feathering is quite a bit more colorful also, as mine are browns and reds.

8. chickiemom9

chickiemom9 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    Speckled Hen, I have 3 1/2 week americaunas and 2 of them have different combs from the rest. I am wondering if they may be roo's but from looking at the pics you posted they are not nearly as prominent as yours. They are a bit bigger then the rest and so flighty, in fact most of them ( I have 5 americaunas) I guess 3 of them are so standoffish and do not want to be touched . They will go the oppisite way if I go on the coop but the others will come up to me. Are they normalll kinda crazy or could that be a trait of the roo's? I have 5 Buff Orps and they are just as sweet as can be. I am sending a pic of the one I am most suspicous of although the pics are a week old but as I say they do not have the raise combs like yours do they are more flat. Thanks for the help.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. chickiemom9

chickiemom9 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    Robin Egg are your EE's kinda flighty? My Americaounas are kinda wierd and the two that I think may be roos are bigger then the know hens. Also did your roos show any signs of wattles at 3 1/2 weeks? I am looking at them really good and I see noi signs yet. Is that a good sign? I sure want them to be hens as they are sooo pretty especially the one I justed , but if it is a roo he must go.

10. speckledhen

chickiemom, in that first pic, that comb is pretty prominent for a pullet. I'd give it some time, though. There are individuals that can fool you. And this breed really doesn't get wattles that you would notice, so you can't go by that. Most of my Ameraucanas are very sweet chicks, not flighty at all, but two I have now are a bit more than ones in the past, maybe because I have so many that it's hard to handle them all alot. (I have 32 in there).

OMGosh, this is post #12000 for me! I just have to shutup!

Last edited: May 8, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by