Ameraucana Coop's Covered Pen Complete (PICS)

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by speckledhen, Aug 4, 2007.

1. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Not the best job since we have to forever deal with rocky, uneven soil here on the mountain, but it's done. At least they can't fly out of this nor can a hawk fly in, either.
    Here are some pictures:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Looking Good!!!! [​IMG]

3. greginshasta

greginshasta Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2007
    Mount Shasta, CA
    You had mentioned that you had added the lumber at the foot of the new coop in order to prevent rain from soaking that area. I see that now.

Looking at the gate, it appears to be PVC? If so, how did you make the hinges?

Greg

4. speckledhen

Yep, it's PVC since that's what we had laying around. I still need to fashion a real lock for it. The "hinges" are just the straps that go with chainlink fencing bolted through the holes in the steel U-post. The gate swings on them and closes against the other U-post where the lock will be. Right now, it's just bungeed shut to keep them from pushing it open, but tomorrow, we'll make a lock. They'll be safe since they get locked into the coop at night. Maybe you can see the straps in this picture-I sort of spray painted them when I painted the PVC. There are two, one at top and one near the bottom:
    [​IMG]

5. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Cynthia.....wow.....looks great!! I see in the last pic, a hen laying by the fence....maybe she s jealous..and wants one like that for her own! LOL

6. speckledhen

LOL, Deb, she was part of that group and is miffed that she is now separated from Scout and the other three. When I put them in, that left out two Barred Rock and one Blue Orp girl. I wanted the two BRs to be with my Hawkeye and the Blue Orp, Skye, will be in with Suede when she's a couple weeks older. They were very upset at roost time last night, lemme tell ya, all seven of them.
    This morning, Scout was crowing up a storm and I've only heard him crow twice before now. Geez, give a boy his own apt and women and he thinks he's a real man, LOL!

7. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

LOL Cynthia.....I know how that goes with the roo. I hace one little Polish roo....he has been alone since I got him....sad thing is, he will NOT go in his private coop! He lays on the ground, beside the other coop. So, I gave him a few ladies. One goes in the coop, the other lays outside with him! UGH! But boy does he crow alot now! As if to say...yeah, im a man! LOL

8. skeeter9

skeeter9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Cynthia, I love your latest addition! The coop has so much character!! I'm sure your chickens are loving it.

Lori

9. speckledhen

Thank you, Lori. Last night, their first in the new coop away from their pals, my Speckled Sussex, Nelda, decided to roost on top of the nestboxes-I knew this would be a problem, but didn't have the heart to make DH do another thing right away. Today, he put something up there so maybe she wont want to do that again, but Nelda is a determined young lady, so we'll see. The others roosted on their 2x4 properly.
    The Barred Rock girls and my Blue Orp pullet were so unsettled by not having their friends with them that they actually snuggled up to the Big Evil Women and Hawkeye on the Big Ladder Roost, LOL. I went out late and couldn't find them on their normal roost bar, thought, oh, heck, they're in the nests! Nope, they were lost among the crowd of large ladies, LOL. Must have been very nervous without Scout and the other three girls beside them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by