"Ameraucana" Easter Egger Laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Jedwards, Feb 22, 2015.

1. Jedwards

Jedwards Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2014
    Berks County, PA
    I bought these "Ameraucana" chicks last July and as it turns out they are Easter Egger mutts but I love them and they are some of the friendliest chicken I ever had. I cannot tell who's laying which color eggs though! I get 3 olive eggs and 2 blue eggs but don't know who's laying what. I know hens 4 and 5 lay olive eggs but out of hens 1-3 I'm getting 2 blue and an olive egg. Just short of going to all the trouble of separating them to find out the truth I thought I'd open the guessing game to y'all! So who do you think is laying blue/olive eggs??

This is hen 1 on top of the food dish, egg color unknown
    [​IMG]

This is hen 2 very sassy, egg color unknown
    [​IMG]

This is hen 3 my absolute favorite, egg color unknown
    [​IMG]

This is hen 4 I have her in a separate pen where I keep barred rock hens and turkeys so I know she lays olive eggs
    [​IMG]

This is hen 5 I have her in the barred rock pen also and she lays olive eggs also
    [​IMG]

And for a bonus these are the boys: The first one is in with hens 1-3 and is very skittish
    [​IMG]

The second one is in the big pen with hens 4 and 5 and about 20 barred rock hens, production reds, cochins, muscovy ducks, turkeys, etc. and he's quite the nasty sucker and quite smaller than his brother.
    [​IMG]

2. song of joy

song of joy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2012
    Central Pennsylvania
    Sorry, can't help you with the egg colors, but those are really beautiful birds! I have two Easter eggers and really like them. They lay well and have a great temperament.

3. Jedwards

Jedwards Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2014
    Berks County, PA
    Thank you! I can't wait to hatch more!!

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    There's no way to tell by looking at them.....some gel type food coloring on their vents would tell the tale.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by