ameraucana/ easter egger whats the difference!?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by slim1986, Oct 29, 2011.

1. slim1986

slim1986 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2011
    Highfill, Arkansas
    First of all, ameraucana breeders don't get mad at me for asking, but what is the difference? I know the ameraucana is pure bred and an EE is not, but how do you tell if you have a pure bred or just an EE? My granma has a gorgeous rooster that has the beard and all, but what else should I look for to know if what exactly he is? Or is there even a way to tell just by looking? Thanks for any advice! [​IMG]

2. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Ameraucanas are only 8 recognized varieties, black, blue, blue wheaten, brown red, buff, silver, wheaten and white. Lavender and mottled are being worked on. You can see pics of the varieties here: http://www.ameraucana.org/scrapbook.html

If
    it's any other color than those, it's an EE. Also, if there is ANY green or willow tint to the legs, and if the bottom of the feet are yellow instead of white.

3. slim1986

slim1986 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2011
    Highfill, Arkansas
    Ok, well his legs are blue but he's red plye colored, so he's an EE? Right? But also his eyes look like goat eyes, with the sideways pupils, is that just because he's an odd rooster? We've had EE's that have regular chicken eyes so that's one of the reasons I was asking. Thanks for the info!

4. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Yep, he's an EE. Don't know about the eye thing....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by