Ameraucana/EE/Araucana Question

ClareScifi

Songster
8 Years
Mar 30, 2011
Does anyone who has this breed (Ameraucana/EE/Araucana) of chicken find a high number have a tendency to stretched crops? I read in an article that it was a genetic tendency of them, and I have a boy with it. He's half this breed and half white leghorn, I think.

If you do have this problem in your Ameraucana chickens, how has it played out?

Thanks,

Clare

Stretched crop? What exactly is that?

I have a small group of purebred Araucanas (tufted, bootyless, came from breeders not a hatchery), but something like a stretched crop is a new term. None of mine have had any crop related issues.

what is a streched crop?
my died as little chicks
sad.png
hit.gif

so sad i missed dinner to try and feed them
hit.gif

Same here, never even heard of the term before. I have true Araucana's and have had EE's and Araucana crosses and Ameraucana's and never heard of such a thing, much less had one that had anything wrong that had to do with the crop. A lot of times people make up names to describe things and pass the term on to others. It may be something else but "called" that. Where did you read this article? Maybe we can help you figure it out.

No, never had any Ameraucanas with a pendulous crop. I've had several blue Orp hens with the issue-they tend toward it for some reason. Just lost one recently, but never had an Ameraucana with a crop problem at all.

Interesting about the Blue Orpingtons getting it, too. I've been reading several articles about them having a tendency toward it, since you posted. My little guy may be part Orpington. I've thought he probably was, but others suggeted he looks more EE-ish. Hmmm.

Has anyone known anybody whose chickens have worn "Crop Bras" like cockatiels, who are also prone to the malady, often wear? My vet said my little Roo is too big for a "Crop Bra," but I found sites online showing that they are now made in larger sizes for chickens. Worth a try, I feel, if need be? I don't think my little guy's situation is too bad yet, but I want to prevent it from getting worse.

I will try to find the link to crop bras to share. They are nice looking and don't look too uncomfortable, but I don't know how a roo will feel about wearing a bra! LOL.

Sorry about the duplicate posting. No one responded under emergencies when I posted it, so I thought I had better post it under breeds instead, to get responses, and that worked. How do you remove a posting once you realize you've put it in the wrong place? Can you delete it?

Never heard of it before. But, a big thing is, Ameraucanas Araucanas and EE's are all three completely different things
wink.png
Perhaps the article pertained to a certain strain/hatchery line of EE's?

I can't remember specifically whether the article said Ameraucana, Araucana, or EE's were genetically prone to it, but it was one of those. Interesting that cockatiels are, also. I wonder how cockatiels compare to other birds, size-wise? May be something about the make-up of the crop?

Back
Top Bottom