1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ameraucana/EE - Hens or Roos??? ADDED COMB PICS

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by RiddleMe, Jun 6, 2011.

1. RiddleMe

RiddleMe Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Just got these two, I was told they are Auracana, but assume EE based on the rarity of true Auracanas (I'm fine with EEs!!). Wondering if anyone can tell me if they are hens or roos. They are 6 1/2 weeks in these photos. There were two more of the darker red/gray birds with even more striking coloring and same size/color combs but slightly thicker legs, so I defaulted to these two, hoping at least one is a hen.

I'll try to get pics of them standing tomorrow so you can see leg color and size, they were a little stressed from the ride home and new surroundings, and ready to sleep so I didn't want to disturb them too much.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Edited to update title and remove breed question

Last edited: Jun 7, 2011
  2. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    I'm no expert but I'm seeing at least one rooster? [​IMG]

3. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    Not sure, thinking roos though. Have no idea on the whole EE/americauna/auracana.

4. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    It appears you have a pair. I would say that the darker one is a rooster (cockerel).

5. dutchhollow

dutchhollow Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2008
    SW IA
    they are ee's. The lighter one guessing roo (everyone that color I have had has been a roo) and hen on the darker one, but the comb looks red in one pic, but not the others? Maybe red light?

6. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    Yes, coloring points to two roos, but I guess I was being hopeful for you when I said it was a pair. [​IMG]

7. rhs7111

rhs7111 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    They both look like cockerels. If they have pea combs as most EEs do, a cockerel will have three vertical rows of bumps, whereas a pullet will have only one vertical row of bumps. Your photos are a bit blurry to know 100%, but you can take a closer look yourself and decide.

8. The Turken Lady

The Turken Lady Chillin' With My Peeps

You've got some nice EE's there,they're very pretty. [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I believe that the lighter one is a cockerel,and the darker one a pullet.
    Although the pullet looks like she's getting some mixed male blue wheaten color on her, in the second picture,her comb is obviously smaller and less red than the cockerel's. I've had plenty of hens her color,so looks like you've got a pair!

9. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    I think they're both cockerels because of the splotchy coloration and comb appearance but I'm no expert -- just reading lots and learning.

10. RiddleMe

RiddleMe Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2011
    Central Oregon
    A couple close ups of the combs. I forgot to turn off the red light so the color is just a little less red, but still has the pink in it. Based on the three row theory I'm now thinking they're both roos. [​IMG] [​IMG] They'll be pretty, just don't need two roos!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by