Ameraucana / EEer chicks

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by hd_darcy, Aug 17, 2010.

1. hd_darcy

hd_darcy Songster

Apr 28, 2010
    Wisconsin
    I'm going to pick out a couple of chicks tomorrow - YAY! She says she has Ameraucana chicks. I'm wondering if there's an easy way to tell if they are true Ameraucanas as chicks or Easter Eggers? Easter Eggers would be fine as well, but it would be nice to know for certain what I'm getting when I'm gettin'. Thank you!

2. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds & Bees

Congratulations on getting your new chicks!

You could check out this website for examples of Ameraucana adult and chick photos ~ Ameraucana Breeders Club

You could also ask to see her adult birds and ask where she got them. If they came from a hatchery they would be EE's. Also many EE chicks have a "chipmunk" look ~ only the Silver Ameraucana chicks have that look.

I have EE's and Ameraucanas and love them both.

Edited for poor spelling! [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 17, 2010
  3. HBuehler

HBuehler Songster

Jun 30, 2009
    Lebanon TN
    Here is the web site to the Ameraucana Society www.Ameraucana.org there are pics of chicks and adults of each of the 7 colors they come in.Look at her adult birds to see the parent stock.Did you ask her what color Ameraucana's she raises...many of of us that raise them put right in the ad what colors we have for sale.That is the one question I wish every person would ask when they contact people on their Ameraucana's for sale...then you can look up what they should look like before you get there. EE's are super birds which usually have lots more color than the Ameraucana's and for a back yard flock are super but I agree with you..it's nice to know what your looking at.We have flocks of Ameraucana's and EE's-wouldn't be the same without them around here.
    Here are a few big things to look for
    Color-if it's brown or orange with any black or stripes on very young chicks it's EE the browns and oranges are quite common in them but they are cute.
    Green Legs-Ameraucana's don't have green legs or yellow

4. hd_darcy

hd_darcy Songster

Apr 28, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Thank you for the info! Can't wait to go today!! [​IMG]

5. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds & Bees

Quote:Good Luck and make sure you post pictures after you get them!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: