"Ameraucana experts-is this an Ameraucana?"

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by rosco, Nov 24, 2009.

1. rosco

rosco Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Texas Panhandle
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2009
  2. babymakes6

babymakes6 Gifted

Feb 24, 2009
    far west Ohio
    First of all- [​IMG]
    Are the legs green? It looks like an EE to me, but the lighting is not good. Can you post a better picture? Better yet would be different angles and a close-up of the head.

3. rosco

Nov 24, 2009
    Texas Panhandle
    Heather, Thank you for your welcome.

i hope this photo works:
    [​IMG]

and i like your signature. very true!

4. rosco

Nov 24, 2009
    Texas Panhandle
    Heather, i don't think the legs are green. i'd say grey skin and dark grey scales (if those are the terms).
    here is the closest i can get:
    [​IMG]

she is not laying eggs yet.

i bought her from a user on this site/forum, Skitz. if that helps.

5. babymakes6

babymakes6 Gifted

Feb 24, 2009
    far west Ohio
    Very pretty hen-It is a better picture, but I am not an expert! I have Silkies (which some like to say are evil and are NOT chickens!). I still think it looks like an EE, but I would like to hear some other opinions on that.
    Where did you get her? Did the seller tell you what breed they thought she was?

6. rosco

Nov 24, 2009
    Texas Panhandle
    i bought her from a user, Skitz, on this website. he participates in forums.

he seems incredibly knowlegdable and thought it was an ameraucana but says the comb .... Skitz, i hope it is okay that i quote you.
    "The breed of the hen supposed to be an ameraucana but ameraucanas have like a beard and the red one doesnt. So I'm not sure if it really is an ameraucana," Skitz.

i will probably know for sure when she starts laying next spring. i am/was just excited that we might get blue eggs.

-rosco

7. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Definitely NOT an araucana. And neither is it an ameraucana. It might be (am I really saying this? [​IMG] [​IMG] ) an EE. [​IMG]

8. babymakes6

babymakes6 Gifted

Feb 24, 2009
    far west Ohio
    An EE(Easter Egger) is a term used to describe a mix breed chicken that lays blue, green, or pink eggs. The hatcheries often sell them as Auracanas, which are actually pretty rare. Auracanas have muffs and are rumpless, while Ameraucanas have a tail. It is possible that it is truly an Ameraucana. If you go to the top of the page and click "breeds,'' it is a pretty detailed database of information about the different breeds and pictures. That may help you more than I can. Also, if you edit your first post and change the title to say something more descriptive, maybe "Ameraucana experts-is this an Ameraucana?" or something to get their attention, you will get more notice. [​IMG]
    This is a very friendly forum, and most people LOVE to help! Be careful, though, it is addictive!

9. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Quote:Araucanas (in the US) do not have muffs/beards. They have tufts. And are also rumpless. Due to tufts being a lethal gene, and decreased fertility associated with rumplessness, you will find clean faced and tailed araucanas, but in all other ways they will fit the standard. Ameraucanas do NOT have tufts, and they always have tails. THey also always have muffs/beard.

An EE can be anything that has a blue egg layer in its background.

10. babymakes6

babymakes6 Gifted

Feb 24, 2009
    far west Ohio
    Quote:Araucanas (in the US) do not have muffs/beards. They have tufts. And are also rumpless. Due to tufts being a lethal gene, and decreased fertility associated with rumplessness, you will find clean faced and tailed araucanas, but in all other ways they will fit the standard. Ameraucanas do NOT have tufts, and they always have tails. THey also always have muffs/beard.

An EE can be anything that has a blue egg layer in its background.

Thanks, Sonoran! I was hoping somebody would correct me if I was wrong. I was going from memory, and I am not an expert on EE's, Auracanas, or Ameraucanas (although I know there is NO I in Ameraucana!).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by